Increase public awareness and understanding in Northern Ireland
Learn about the 5 priorities for action in Northern Ireland.
- Improve diagnosis rates in Northern Ireland
- Improve post-diagnosis support in Northern Ireland
- Ensure a high standard of home care in Northern Ireland
- You are here: Increase public awareness and understanding in Northern Ireland
- Make Northern Ireland dementia-friendly
The Department of Health needs to run a recurring public information campaign to raise awareness of dementia.
Everyone needs to know about dementia, to understand how it affects the person as well as how a few, simple lifestyle changes can help reduce risk of developing it.
Dementia is amongst the most feared illnesses, especially in those over 50 and this may in itself be a barrier to getting information, to seeking help and certainly to talking openly about the condition.
The most recent Northern Ireland Life & Times survey found ‘despite nearly two thirds of people knowing someone with dementia, understanding about the nature of dementia, how it affects a person over time and the links between lifestyle and risk of developing dementia is still quite hit and miss’ (Alzheimer's Research UK research update, December 2015)