This page contains information about the cookies used by this website and other Alzheimer’s Society online platforms.
What are cookies?
- For some essential functions of our website.
- help us better understand how visitors engage with this website;
- for advertising to make sure our marketing is as cost-efficient as possible.
This site uses both first party and third party cookies.
Cookies help us ensure that our website is as good as it can be for our users, and that all our digital marketing is as efficient as it can be (so we spend less money).
You can turn off cookies, but please be aware that if you disable all cookies, some elements of our website may not work properly (such as our online shop or event registrations).
Firefox: Enable and disable cookies that websites use to track your preferences
Safari: Managing Cookies
Google Chrome: Manage cookies
Opera: Security & Privacy in Opera
Internet Explorer: How to manage cookies in Internet Explorer 9, How to delete cookie files in Internet Explorer
Cookies we use
This section lists all the cookies used by Alzheimer’s Society.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. Google Analytics sets cookies in order to allow us to evaluate and report on the use of our website. It is widely used across the web and all data is anonymised meaning the cookies carry no personally identifiable information. These cookies help us to understand our visitor's behaviour and allow us to make improvements to better our user's experience.
Google Analytics cookies
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. Alzheimer’s Society uses data from Google's Interest-based advertising or 3rd-party audience data (such as age, gender and interests) with Google Analytics to inform our marketing strategy.
Visitors can opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customise Google Display Network ads using Google's Ad Settings page.
Visitors can opt out of Google Analytics using this browser add-on.
Google Analytics collects only the IP address assigned to you on the date you visit this site, rather than your name or other identifying information. We do not combine the information collected through the use of Google Analytics with personally identifiable information.
Google Analytics employs cookies to collect data about how visitors are using the websites. Google Analytics uses only first-party cookies for data analysis. This means that the cookies are linked to a specific website domain, and Google Analytics will only use that cookie data for statistical analysis related to your browsing behaviour on that specific website. According to Google, the data collected cannot be altered or retrieved by services from other domains.
- __utma - This cookie is typically written to the browser upon the first visit to your site from that web browser. If the cookie has been deleted by the browser operator, and the browser subsequently visits your site, a new __utma cookie is written with a different unique ID. This cookie is used to determine unique visitors to your site and it is updated with each page view. Additionally, this cookie is provided with a unique ID that Google Analytics uses to ensure both the validity and accessibility of the cookie as an extra security measure.
- __utmb - This cookie is used to establish and continue a user session with your site. When a user views a page on your site, the Google Analytics code attempts to update this cookie. If it does not find the cookie, a new one is written and a new session is established. Each time a user visits a different page on your site, this cookie is updated to expire in 30 minutes, thus continuing a single session for as long as user activity continues within 30-minute intervals. This cookie expires when a user pauses on a page on your site for longer than 30 minutes.
- __utmc - Historically, this cookie operated in conjunction with the __utmb cookie to determine whether or not to establish a new session for the user. For backwards compatibility purposes with sites still using the urchin.js tracking code, this cookie will continue to be written and will expire when the user exits the browser.
- __utmz - This cookie stores the type of referral used by the visitor to reach your site, whether via a direct method, a referring link, a website search, or a campaign such as an ad or an email link. It is used to calculate search engine traffic, ad campaigns and page navigation within your own site. The cookie is updated with each page view to your site.
- __utmx - This cookie is used by Website Optimizer and only set when the Website Optimizer tracking code is installed and correctly configured for your pages. When the optimizer script executes, this cookie stores the variation this visitor is assigned to for each experiment, so the visitor has a consistent experience on your site. See the Website Optimizer Help Center for more information.
- _dc_gtm_UA-2332956-1 - This cookie is used to inform, optimise and serve ads on sites across the internet based on your prior visits to this website.
- _ga - this is used to distinguish users and expires after two years.
We also make use of AdWords remarketing functionality. This allows us to target people who have previously visited our site with display advertising. In order to do this, we make use of AdWords remarketing tags that set information within a doubleclick.net cookie. Google serve their ads based on a visitor's interests and you can find out more information by visiting Google Ad Preferences.
We also use Google's doubleclick.net cookie for conversion tracking purposes, to track the performance of our AdWords campaigns. If you visit certain pages on our website within 30 days of clicking on one of our ads, Google (and Alzheimer's Society) will be able to tell that your visit was a result of a click on one of these ads.
Google reCAPTCHA is a security service provided by Google that helps to protect sites from spam and abuse. We use Google reCAPTCHA on our donations platform (goDonate) and on our event registration platform (Primo).
Research grant application
CC Grant Tracker is the system we use to process research grant applications and therefore is only relevant to those applying to Alzheimer's Society for a research grant.
- CCGT - Authentication cookie that keeps track of who is currently logged into the system in that particular browser session.
Please see the Talking Point cookie statement for details of cookies used on our online forum.
Our online shop uses an e-commerce platform supplied by Welford Media.
- Session ID - Session ID used to control the users basket/order/login status.
Primo Events is an online ticketing and registration platform dedicated to providing event organisers and participants with a seamless signup process. We use Primo to register supporters for events.
Twitter uses both session cookies and persistent cookies to improve their service including understanding user interaction, monitor aggregate usage and web traffic routing.
We use this service to show surveys to visitors of our website, in order to find out how they are using the site, so we can make our content easier to use and more accessible.
By default, ethnio sets a cookie to prevent anyone from ever seeing a survey/questionnaire twice within 30 days for a given domain.
Cookie Name: _ethnio_displayed
We use this service to help us better understand how you are using our website and how we can make it better through a range of tools such as heatmaps, feedback polls and surveys.
Hotjar sets these cookies on your device:
- _hjUserId is set as soon as a user loads a page which contains the Hotjar code. The cookie contains a universally unique identifier (UUID) which allows Hotjar to track the same visitor across multiple pages and sessions. It expires after 365 days.
- _hjClosedSurveyInvites is set once a visitor interacts with a survey invitation modal popup. It is used to ensure that the same invite does not re-appear if it has already been shown. It expires after 365 days.
- _hjDonePolls is set once a visitor completes a poll. It is used to ensure that the same poll does not re-appear if it has already been filled in. It expires after 365 days.
- _hjMinimizedPolls is set once a visitor minimizes a Feedback Poll widget. It is used to ensure that the widget stays minimizes when the visitor navigates through your site. It expires after 365 days.
- _hjDoneTestersWidgets is set once a visitor submits their information in the Recruit User Testers widget. It is used to ensure that the same form does not re-appear if it has already been filled in. It expires after 365 days.
- _hjMinimizedTestersWidgets is set once a visitor minimizes a Recruit User Testers widget. It is used to ensure that the widget stays minimizes when the visitor navigates through your site. It expires after 365 days.
- _hjDoneSurveys is set once a visitor completes a survey. It is used to only load the survey content if the visitor hasn't completed the survey yet. It expires after 365 days.
- _hjIncludedInSample is set to let Hotjar know whether that visitor is included in the sample which is used to generate funnels. It is a session cookie and expires when the visitor closes their browser.
- optimizelyEndUserId Contains the end user's unique identifier. It is a combination of a timestamp and random number. No personal information is stored. It expires after 10 years.
- optimizelySegments Stores the user's audience and dimension information (e.g., browser, campaign, mobile, source type, custom dimensions). It expires after 10 years.
- optimizelyBuckets Stores the experiments and variations of the site that a user has been bucketed into. This ensures the user consistently sees the same variation, even over multiple sessions. It expires after 10 years.
You can read Hotjar's cookie information for further information.
Third party cookies
We also use third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to show you advertisements about Alzheimer’s Society products and services that may be of interest to you.