Ensure a high standard of home care in Northern Ireland
Learn about the 5 priorities for action in Northern Ireland.
- Improve diagnosis rates in Northern Ireland
- Improve post-diagnosis support in Northern Ireland
- You are here: Ensure a high standard of home care in Northern Ireland
- Increase public awareness and understanding in Northern Ireland
- Make Northern Ireland dementia-friendly
Health and Social Care Trusts should be compelled to commission quality home care for people with dementia.
Dementia-skilled care for people living independently at home is an investment in wellbeing. Most people want to stay at home as long as they can: quality, community-based care keeps people out or hospital and long term residential care.
Alzheimer's Society's 2011 report, Support. Stay. Save, found that one in ten of all respondents to questionnaires said the person with dementia in their family was admitted to long-term care sooner than expected, as a result of not getting sufficient support to meet their needs at home.