Carers' Plans

See the importance of a plan for carers and other services available from the GP.

Caring for someone with dementia can cause a lot of physical and emotional stress. Try to dedicate some time for yourself and don't neglect your own health and wellbeing. You should see your own GP on a regular basis (at least once a year or when they need to) to check up on your health and discuss any problems you may be experiencing.

Many GP surgeries have a carers' register. It can be helpful for carers to join this as it means that GPs are aware they have caring responsibilities. It may also mean that carers are called in for health checks, sent out newsletters and other relevant information, and signposted to sources of support and information. Ask your GP surgery if they have a carers' register and if you can be registered. For more information see our page Carers: looking after yourself.

Other Services

The GP can also refer people to other health and social care staff, for example community nurses or occupational therapists. For more information on other help and support available from the NHS see our page: How health and social care professionals can help.

Advice about other services is available from your local social services department. Examples of services include day care centres, replacement care (sometimes called respite care or short breaks) and personal care (eg help with cooking a meal or washing) at home. If you have not already done so, ask for an assessment of your needs by social services. The person with dementia and their carer are both entitled to their own needs assessments. The GP can refer you, or you can contact social services directly. Their number will be in the local telephone directory under the name of your local council, or you can find their number online via the government website under the name of your local council -

For more information see our page: Assessment for care and support in England; W418, Assessment for care and support in Wales, or NI418, Community care assessment (specifically for Northern Ireland).