Becoming a deputy for a person with dementia

6. Who to tell

As a deputy, you must instruct various outside organisations that you are now acting on the person's behalf. You will need to show an original sealed copy of the Court order. Examples of organisations that you must inform include:

  • the Department for Work and Pensions for pension and/or benefit entitlement
  • the local authority for housing benefit or assistance with fees
  • banks or building societies
  • accountant
  • payer of any private pension(s)
  • solicitor who holds the person's will and/or property deeds
  • residential or nursing home where the person resides.

It is also a good idea to inform other people involved in the person's care, such as carers, and also their relatives and friends.