Becoming a deputy - useful organisations

Get details of organisations that can provide guidance about becoming a deputy for a person with dementia.

Save this information

Useful organisations

Court of Protection

0300 456 4600

[email protected]

Website (online application portal for property and finance deputyships) 

The Court of Protection makes decisions and appoints deputies to act on behalf of people who are unable to make decisions about their personal health, finance or welfare.



GOV.UK is the government website. It has information about government agencies and departments. This includes information on deputyship and how to apply.

Office of the Public Guardian

0300 456 0300 

[email protected]


The OPG supervises deputies. It is able to provide deputies with guidance and support.

Solicitors for the Elderly

0844 567 6173 

[email protected] 


Solicitors for the Elderly is a national organisation of lawyers, such as solicitors, barristers and legal executives. They provide specialist legal advice for older and vulnerable people, their families and carers.


Review details

Last reviewed: February 2022

Next review due: February 2025

Our information is based on evidence and need, and is regularly updated using quality-controlled processes. It is reviewed by experts in health and social care and people affected by dementia. 

Reviewed by: Joyce Bennell, Consultant Solicitor, Nicholls Brimble Bhol Solicitors and Nicola Mawson, Solicitor, Waddington & Son Solicitors, both members of Solicitors for the Elderly

This information has also been reviewed by people affected by dementia.

To give feedback on this information, or for a list of sources, please email [email protected]

Dementia Support Line
Our dementia advisers are here for you.
Dementia Support Forum
Visit our online community to get advice, share experiences, connect.
  • Page last reviewed:
Previous Section
You are on the first page
Next Section
You are on the last page