Massage involves hands-on manipulation of the body's soft tissue by a practitioner. There are many types of massage and different people may enjoy different types (eg hand or head). It is often used alongside aromatherapy (see 'Aromatherapy', page).

There is a small amount of evidence that massage can help manage symptoms associated with dementia, such as anxiety, agitation and depression. Although massage therapies show promise, so far studies have not been rigorous enough to provide solid evidence. Further research is required.