Cross-Party Group inquiry into hospital care
The Cross-Party Group on dementia in the National Assembly for Wales has launched an inquiry into hospital care - and they want to hear from you.
About the inquiry
When a person living with dementia is admitted to hospital, they are often at their most vulnerable, and their health can deteriorate rapidly upon admission.
The Welsh Government’s Dementia Action Plan pledges to take action on improving hospital care for people living with dementia.
The Cross Party Group on dementia are launching an inquiry. They want to hear from people across Wales about their experiences of hospital care for people living with dementia.
What people have told us
'It must have been absolutely traumatic for my dad – no understanding, no knowledge, no support. He couldn’t communicate'
– Carer of a person living with dementia
'Most of the nurses, especially in the general ward, just don’t have a clue. They’re just not getting the education on how to deal with people with dementia'
– Person living with dementia
How it works
This inquiry covers all forms of dementia and all ages. We are interested to hear from people specifically based in Wales.
Structure of the inquiry
We will be gathering evidence – a combination of written and oral evidence, until June 2019. This will include a one-off oral evidence session. We will produce a report in autumn 2019.
We would particularly like to hear from:
- People affected by dementia
- Third sector organisations including those representing carers
- Healthcare professionals and professional bodies
- Healthcare and service providers
How to submit evidence
You can share your experiences with the CPG by completing our online survey.
Alternatively, you can submit written evidence by emailing or posting it to us.
When you make a submission of written evidence to the CPG, please ensure that:
- Your submission is no more than 1,000 words
- You state clearly who the submission is from, i.e. whether from yourself in a personal capacity or sent on behalf of an organisation
- You include a brief description of yourself/your organisation
Please submit your evidence by email to [email protected] or by post to Alzheimer’s Society Cymru, 16 Columbus Walk, Atlantic Wharf, Cardiff, CF10 4BY.