Paying for care

8. Replacement (respite) care

There are many different types of replacement care that aim to give rest or relief to unpaid carers and the people they support. These include day centres, homecare services, residential stays and breaks to attend a social function. , Options can be discussed when deciding on the support plan. Local authorities can choose to charge for this care, and many do.

If you are charged for replacement care services, you may find some financial help locally. It may be worth asking your local authority about local schemes or charitable organisations to help pay for replacement care. Carer break vouchers may be available. These are sometimes given by the local authority and can be used to pay towards replacement care.

The Care Act makes it very clear that replacement care is to meet the needs of the person with dementia, not the carer. The person with dementia may be financially assessed and, if appropriate, it is the person with dementia who pays for the replacement care, even if it is the carer who appears to take the break. For more information seeour page on Replacement care (respite care) in England.