If you are interested in sharing your experiences of dementia through media, public speaking, or engagement with decision makers, our Dementia Voice team can support you on your self-advocacy journey. Learn more about support for self-advocacy on this page.
What is 'self-advocacy'?
- having a voice
- being able to represent yourself
- being able to express your views and needs.
Self-advocacy supports the human rights of people impacted by dementia and gives our movement a more powerful voice.
‘By listening to other people speak with dementia, or when people listen to me speak with dementia, it starts to normalise it so that people aren't scared of dementia’ Kate Swaffer.
Alzheimer’s Society, 3 Nations Dementia Working Group (3NDWG) and Dementia Alliance International (DAI) have been working on a project exploring dementia self-advocacy and inclusion.
We consulted with dementia working groups and individuals in different countries to identify
- barriers to self-advocacy
- tools to support dementia self-advocates
- gaps in support.
Useful Links and Further Reading
Supporting Dementia Self-Advocates - a Directory of Resources (pdf file) which collates relevant online resources to support inclusive working and self-advocacy.
'The Many of Voices of Dementia Advocacy' is a short film with seven people living with dementia in different countries, talking about their experiences of self-advocating, their motivation and top tips.
There are many ways people affected by dementia can get involved with, and influence, Alzheimer’s Society’s work.
- If you are interested in sharing your experiences of dementia through media, public speaking, or engagement with decision makers, our Dementia Voice team can support you on your self-advocacy journey.
- In England, Wales and Northern Ireland you can join the 3 Nations Dementia Working Group.
- If you live in another country, please contact Dementia Alliance International, your national dementia working group if there is one, or your national Alzheimer association.
Download the directory of resources
We have put together a directory of resources about self-advocacy and inclusive working.