Walk for Dementia Strava Challenge
Walk for Dementia Strava Challenge
We’re challenging you to walk 50km in July - that's 31 miles in 31 days.
This challenge suits everyone, so get your family and friends involved too! You can complete your 50km walk in one go, spread it across a weekend or take on one mile a day throughout July - it's completely up to you!
Walk for Dementia is a great way to support people living with dementia, while ticking off a big goal in 2021.
It’s completely free to sign up and if you raise £100 for Alzheimer’s Society, you’ll receive a medal in the post. Raise £300 and we’ll send you an Alzheimer’s Society t-shirt as a thank you for your support.
Join our official Strava challenge to track your miles and earn your digital badge on completion.
- Walk, hike or complete your miles in a wheelchair.
- Log 50km with your Strava account to get your digital badge.
- Raise £100 on JustGiving and we'll post you a medal (UK residents only).
- Raise £300 on JustGiving and you'll earn an exclusive Alzheimer's Society trekking top (UK residents only).
- Strava guidelines and rules apply. Check the challenge on the Strava app for full details.
- Make sure you follow government coronavirus rules for your area. Always check before taking part.
What your fundraising will support
- £300 means over 1,800 people can access Talking Point, our online forum. Here people can learn from each other experiences, share their frustrations and their knowledge of local services.
- £95 provides a telephone-based Dementia Adviser for a full day. Providing essential support to those affected by dementia
- £15 turns four ordinary citizens into superhero Dementia Friends! There is a stigma attached to living with dementia and Dementia Friends facilitates societal change, helping people understand the impact on people’s lives
Why you should join our walking challenge
- The health benefits – walking can reduce stress, lower blood pressure and give you an energy boost.
- Burn calories – walking can help you maintain a healthy weight and keep active
- Take part when and where you want - this challenge is a great way to stay motivated and explore your local area
- Help us beat dementia – The money you raise from this challenge will help fund a range of important services to help people affected by dementia
What is the Walk for Dementia Strava Challenge
We’re challenging everyone to walk or hike 50km in July - that's 31 miles in 31 days!
Join the official Strava challenge to track your miles and earn your digital badge on completion.
If you'd like to increase your distance, that's completely up to you!
Are there any registration or participation fees?
No – Walk for Dementia is free to take part!
What is a Strava challenge?
We're working with Strava to provide a month long challenge on the Strava app, click here to view it. The challenge is to walk or hike 50km in July. You can track and submit your progress in the app and everyone who completes will earn a digital badge for their trophy case.
Is there a fundraising target?
You can set your own target, we suggest £100.
Everyone who raises £100 will be posted an Alzheimer's Society medal, everyone who raises £300 will be posted an Alzheimer's Society top. (UK residents only).
How do I get my Walk for Dementia medal?
All UK residents who raise £100 or more on their JustGiving fundraising page will receive a special medal in the post to say thank you.
We'll send out one medal per fundraising page setup, if you would like additional medals please get in touch.
You don't need to do anything to claim your medal, we'll pop it in the post. We'll send out medals each week, so your medal should arrive within 2-4 weeks of you hitting the £100 target. If it's been longer than 4 weeks and you haven't heard from us, please pop us an email so we can help to [email protected].
How do I get my Walk for Dementia top?
All UK residents who raise £300+ on their JustGiving page will get a free breathable trekking top. We'll be in touch once you've hit this target to ask for your preferred size.
If you've hit £300 and not heard from us, please email [email protected] with your size (XS/S/M/L/XL/XXL) so we can order one for you.
Or you can buy trekking kit in our shop.
How will Alzheimer’s Society use the funds I have raised?
The money you raise will make a big difference to the lives of many affected by dementia. We fund essential support services for people living with dementia and their carers, as well as funding research to find a cure.
To find out more you can visit our website at www.alzheimers.org.uk.
Can I take cash donations?
Help linking Strava to your JustGiving page
You can link your account to your JustGiving page to track your activities and share your progress with your supporters . When viewing your page, scroll down to the Fitness Activity box and click Connect with Strava. See the full instructions here.
Only connect once you're ready to start your challenge as all of your activities will upload to your page. Once setup you can change your settings by clicking Manage Strava Settings found in the same Fitness Activity box on your fundraising page. This will let you pick what information you share on your page.
See JustGiving's help pages here if you're having a problem connecting.