Paying for care in Wales

Many people with dementia will need care and support as their condition progresses. This is often a mix of care from family, friends and professionals. Paid care and support can take a number of different forms and focuses on meeting the person’s needs to improve their wellbeing. It may include providing personal care at home, managing money, or helping someone get dressed or at mealtimes. It may also include supporting someone to get to work, take part in a leisure activity or go shopping. Care may be provided in a person’s own home or in a day centre or care home. The term ‘social care’ is often used to describe this type of care, as opposed to care that is provided by the NHS or by families.

Paying for social care can be a concern for many people. This page outlines the various ways to pay for social care, and what might be taken into account in any financial assessment. It refers frequently to the Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014. This Act sets out the legal responsibilities of local authorities for adults who need care, as well as their carers.

The information provided applies to people living in Wales and does not apply in England or Northern Ireland, where the laws are different.