Who to inform when you become a deputy

As a deputy, you will need to tell various organisations about your deputyship. You may also need to arrange a 'security bond'. This section has information on both these things.

Who to tell

As a deputy, you will need to tell various organisations about your deputyship before they will agree to deal with you on behalf of the person with dementia.

You will need to provide evidence of the deputyship order.

Organisations that you should think about include:

  • the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – for pensions or benefits
  • the local authority – for housing benefit, needs assessments or assistance with care fees
  • banks or building societies
  • the person’s accountant
  • the payer of any private pensions
  • the solicitor who holds the person’s will and/or property deeds
  • the residential or nursing home where the person lives.

It is also a good idea to inform other people involved in the person’s care, such as carers, relatives and friends.

Security bonds

Often a deputy’s first duty is to arrange a ‘security bond’ with an insurer. This is a type of insurance policy designed to financially protect the person with dementia in the unlikely event that you mismanage their finances. The court requires that all deputies for property and financial affairs do this. The size of the security bond will depend on the amount of money (including assets, such as property) that you will have control of.

The court will send guidance on arranging a security bond once they have made the deputyship order. However, you will need to arrange the bond before they will send the order to you.

You may pay the bond from any money you hold for the person, or pay from your own money and be reimbursed when you have access to their bank account. It is important to note that you will have to pay a yearly fee or premium for the bond, which can be paid from the person’s money. This obligation will continue for as long as a deputyship order is in place.

Think this page could be useful to someone? Share it: