Apathy, depression and anxiety - other resources

Here are some other useful organisations that may be helpful when finding out more information about apathy, depression and anxiety.

British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)

[email protected]

The BABCP can help people find an accredited CBT therapist. It can give them a list of CBT therapists in their local area.

British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)

01455 883300
[email protected]

The BACP represents counsellors and psychotherapists. It can give people information about counselling and psychotherapy services, including a list of counsellors and psychotherapists in their local area. It can also advise people about what to look for in a therapist.

British Psychological Society (BPS)

0116 254 9568
[email protected]

The BPS has a list of clinical and counselling psychologists who offer private therapy services.

Counselling Directory

0333 325 2500 (Monday 9.30am–5pm, Tuesday–Thursday 9am–5pm,
Friday 9am–4pm)

The Counselling Directory website includes a searchable database of counsellors and psychotherapists who are members of a recognised professional organisation. It also has information about how talking therapies may help.

Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)

0300 500 6184

The HCPC keeps a register of health and care professionals who meet certain standards for their training, professional skills, behaviour and health. You can search the register to check whether a named psychologist is included, as well as make complaints about registered professionals.

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT)


IAPT is an NHS programme of services for therapies that are approved for depression and anxiety by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). It is only available in England. You can search for IAPT services in your area at www.nhs.uk/service-search and search for ‘IAPT’.

Mental Health Foundation

020 7803 1100

Mental Health Foundation is a charity that promotes good mental health. It has information on a range of different areas and support.


0300 123 3393 (infoline, 9am–6pm weekdays)
[email protected]

Mind is a charity that offers information and advice on all aspects of mental health. It provides a range of support services through local Mind associations.


[email protected]

Relate offers relationship counselling for individuals, couples and families in England and Wales. It provides advice and support by phone, face-to-face and through its website. For Relate in Northern Ireland see www.relateni.org or call 028 9032 3454.

UK Council for Psychotherapy

020 7014 9955
[email protected]

The UK Council for Psychotherapy is a UK professional body for psychotherapists and counsellors. The website includes a searchable register of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors.

More information and resources

Last reviewed: October 2019
Next review due: October 2022

Our information is based on evidence and need, and is regularly updated using quality-controlled processes. It is reviewed by experts in health and social care and people affected by dementia.

Reviewed by: Dr Rebecca Poz, Clinical Neuropsychologist, Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust, and Miguel Vasconcelos Da Silva, Research Nurse, Care Home Research Network (CHRN), King’s College London

To give feedback on this factsheet, or for a list of sources, email [email protected]

Next Section
You are on the last page