Pregnancy, maternity and childcare support for researchers
As well as managing leave away from a research career, new parents also have other difficulties they may need help with. Here is a selection of additional resources that are available to researchers starting a family.
Child care grants for researchers
Universities and research institutions often have their own childcare grant schemes to help their researchers with things like attending conferences. Please check your own institution's website to see whether they have a programme in place.
Several societies, professional bodies and conference organisers also offer small grants to cover childcare expenses while attending or presenting at conferences.
Working during pregnancy
- NHS - Work and Pregnancy - rights and advice.
- Health and safety during pregnancy and return to work.
- Gov.co.uk - pregnant employees rights
Resources for returning to work after maternity leave
- National Childbirth Trust (NCT): Advice on return to work.
- Citizens Advice: Returning to work after maternity leave.
- The Guardian: Returning to work after having children.
- What to Expect.Com: Coping with your return to work after maternity leave.
- Working families blog: 10 things you need to know about post-natal depression.
- Times Higher Education blog: One woman's real-life experiences of returning to academia and the experience of maternity leave.
Share your resources
Please get in touch to let us know about any resources we might have missed that you have found useful.
- Page last reviewed: