Paying for care

2. Who pays?

Although there are national rules about who is required to pay for care and support, there are also some local variations. These mainly depend on the type of care and support that the person needs and where they live.

If someone is still living in their own home, they will often pay for the costs of their own care and support, and the local authority (council) may also contribute. This depends on the person’s income and other assets (such as savings or shares). Some people will be assessed as having to pay for all their own care and support at home. These people are sometimes termed ‘self-funders’. People living in their own home must be left with a basic level of income, and the Care Act states that charges must be ‘reasonable’ (see ‘Care and support for someone in their own home’ below).

If someone is living in a care home, they might pay for all of their care and support costs (self-funders), or they may make a contribution, with the local authority also contributing. Again, this depends on the person’s income and assets. Some people in care homes may have all of their care funded by the local authority if they have a low income or few assets (see ‘Care home fees’ below).

Some people may have all or part of their care funded by the NHS (see ‘Nursing care costs’ below).