Paying for care in Northern Ireland

Many people with dementia will need care and support as their condition progresses. This is often a mix of care from family, friends and professionals. Paid care can take a number of different forms, including providing personal care at home, helping someone get dressed or at meal-times, and supporting them to get to work or go shopping. Care may be provided in a person's own home or in a day centre or care home.

In Northern Ireland, health and social care services are provided by five Health and social care (HSC) trusts, each covering a specific area of the country. Throughout this section they are referred to as HSC trust(s) or the trust(s). This page looks at what services may need to be paid for, the different payments the HSC trust can provide in order for people to receive these services, and who is entitled to them.

The information provided is for people living in Northern Ireland, and is not intended for England or Wales, where the laws are different.