Keeping safe is important for everyone but It can be more of a concern when you have dementia, especially if you live alone.
There are everyday risks around the home that dementia can make harder to deal with. You may experience:
- memory problems, such as forgetting to turn things on or off
- physical difficulties that can make it hard to use stairs or some items of furniture
- changes in what makes you feel comfortable and secure
- being confused about using appliances.
There are lots of things you can do to reduce your risk and help with some of the problems you might face. By doing so you can stay safe at home and stay living there for longer.
These pages give tips and advice, and explain what pieces of equipment you may find useful. They include information about the following areas:
- Making changes to your home
- Keeping secure at home
- Electricity, heating and water
- Fire risk, cooking and kitchens
- Stairs and keeping steady
- Getting help