7. Ensuring good personal hygiene
Incontinence can lead to skin irritation and a general feeling of discomfort. After an accident, it is important to act quickly to make sure the person feels comfortable again, and to ensure they maintain a good level of hygiene.
- If someone has become wet or soiled, they should wash afterwards with mild soap and warm water, and dry carefully before putting on clean clothes and fresh pads, with assistance if necessary.
- Soiled clothes, reusable pads or bedding should be washed immediately, or soaked in an airtight container until they are washed.
- Used pads should be stored in an appropriate container and disposed of as soon as possible.
- Moist toilet tissues may be suitable for minor accidents, but be aware that some can irritate the skin.