1. Side by Side
From joining a local club, going to the football, or just going for a stroll in the park - Side by Side is a new Alzheimer's Society service which helps people with dementia to keep doing the things they love and get out and about with the support of a volunteer. This extra support can make it easier for people with dementia, who might sometimes feel isolated or find it difficult to leave their homes, to do things we might take for granted and feel part of their local community. The service is highly flexible and built around the individual and their needs.
Side by Side is currently available in 35 locations in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. We are currently growing the service and working towards every person with dementia has the opportunity to access the service.
Where can you access Side by Side?
We're currently developing Side by Side in a number of areas across England, Wales and Northern Ireland. If you're living with dementia and interested in accessing the service, find out if it's currently available in your local area and call the phone number listed to find out more.
Are you interested in becoming a volunteer for Side by Side? Find out more on our Side by Side volunteer page.
What does the service hope to achieve?
- Enabling people with dementia to lead fulfilling lives.
- Reducing isolation and loneliness in people with dementia.
- Ensure people with dementia are not excluded from services and activity, and are able to remain active and involved in their communities.
- Empower people with dementia to develop their own solutions and responses to meet their identified needs and wishes.
- Support people with dementia to identify their own personal talents, strengths and capabilities, and what they can bring to their peers and the wider community.
- Develop and encourage community-based informal support networks for people with dementia.
- Link people with dementia and local volunteers to build networks of support and activity.