Where can I get financial and legal advice in Northern Ireland?

There are various places where you can get help with legal and financial matters. Some of the resources are free but you will have to pay for some of them.

For full contact details of the organisations on this page, see Other resources.

Free independent advice 

It can be good to get general advice on a range of issues relating to legal and financial matters. 

Your local Citizens Advice can be a good starting point for advice. They offer free, confidential and independent advice on a range of legal and financial issues. They may be able to help you resolve your problems, or they may refer you to other professionals or organisations. 

Law Centre NI offers free legal advice and support on social security, health and social care and employment. 

Some local neighbourhood advice centres provide advice on legal and financial issues. To find out about the services in your area, ask at your library or town hall. 

Financial advice 

If you’re managing savings or investments, or if you’re thinking about how to pay for your care in the future, you may need professional financial advice. 

All financial advisers must be authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). To find out whether an adviser is authorised, or if you have any queries or complaints, ring the FCA consumer helpline

The Money Advice Service has information about the different types of financial adviser and how to go about finding one. Bear in mind that some advisers can only advise on a restricted range of products. An independent adviser can advise you on a wider range of products that are on the market. 

The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) may also be able to help.

You may need to talk to several advisers before making up your mind. Check before you make an appointment how you will be charged.

Finding a solicitor 

If you are dealing with legal issues, such as making an EPA or a will, or controllership, it can be a good idea to talk to a solicitor. 

The Law Society of Northern Ireland can help you find a solicitor, or you can contact Solicitors for the Elderly. Check how you will be charged before you make an appointment with a solicitor. 

In relation to making a will, Alzheimer’s Society can put you in touch with a solicitor through our Will to Remember scheme. 

Dementia Connect support line
Our dementia advisers are here for you.
Think this page could be useful to someone? Share it: