Volunteering at Memory Walk is an incredible experience. You and hundreds of others across the country will help us to run 26 inspiring walks that raise vital funds, providing help and hope to people affected by dementia. Memory Walk simply couldn't happen without the incredible support of our volunteers.
Find your local Memory Walk below and sign up to volunteer this Autumn.
What to expect
Memory Walks simply couldn't happen without incredible volunteers, and we do our best to make it a day to remember. You can expect:
- A fantastic day outdoors in your local community. Make sure to come prepared with suitable footwear, clothing and a charged mobile phone.
- A face-to-face briefing from the Events Team before the event starts where you'll chat through your role for the day. There'll be plenty of time to ask any questions you may have.
- A chance to explore the event site and hang a tag on the Memory Walk Memory Tree in honour of your loved ones.
- Satisfaction, knowing that you're helping to raise vital funds and providing help and hope to people affected by dementia.
Volunteer arrival time is typically 8:45am (check your emails once you’ve registered for your exact event details). You’ll need to be able to commit to around 6 hours of volunteering at the event. Don’t worry if you can’t stick around for the whole day, just make sure to get in touch with us to let us know your availability.
What you'll receive
Volunteering at Memory Walk also comes with some exclusive perks:
- A jazzy high visibility vest or Memory Walk volunteer t-shirt.
- A lanyard with all the safety information you need.
- A digital volunteering pack with key information about the big day.
- A full event briefing about the event and your volunteer role on event morning.
If you have any questions about volunteering for us, check out our event FAQs for more information.
Volunteers who are based in the event site can take on a variety of different roles throughout the day, including:
- selling merchandise.
- answering walkers' questions.
- helping keep the event area clean, tidy and safe.
- handing out medals at the finish line!
Route volunteers are absolutely essential to guide walkers and keep enthusiasm high! Volunteers in these roles will be positioned at key points on the walk route and will:
- Ensure walkers are heading in the right direction.
- Motivate and cheer people on as they complete their Memory Walk.
- Monitor and report back on route progress to the events team using your Memory Walk radio.
All route marshals will be paired, so you'll never be alone on the route.
Back markers are crucial to making Memory Walk a safe event. You will have the unique advantage of walking the whole route alongside our wonderful participants. In this role you will:
- Follow behind the last walkers.
- Take down route signage.
- Release route marshals from their points on the course.
Volunteer at Memory Walk
Find a walk near you and sign up to volunteer at your chosen Memory Walk.