Cycle for Dementia
Cycle for Dementia
We’re challenging you to cycle 100, 250 or 500 miles in 30 days.
Whether you’re a novice or seasoned cyclist, Cycle for Dementia is the challenge for you. It’s a great way to support people living with dementia, while ticking off a big goal in 2021.
It’s completely free to sign up and if you raise £100 for Alzheimer’s Society, you’ll receive a medal in the post. Raise £300 and we’ll send you an Alzheimer’s Society cycling jersey as a thank you for your support.
Join our Cycle for Dementia Facebook group and get support from everyone else who is taking on the same challenge.
- It's free to take part and there's no fundraising target. We'd encourage every participant to aim for £100 and earn their medal.
- Track your distance using your phone, smart watch or other device. You can link your Strava app to your JustGiving fundraising page to keep your friends and family up to date.
- You're responsible for tracking your own mileage.
- Make sure you follow the coronavirus rules and regulations for your area to keep you and your community safe. Find out more here for Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England.
What your fundraising will support
- £300 means over 1,800 people can access Talking Point, our online forum. Here people can learn from each other experiences, share their frustrations and their knowledge of local services.
- £95 provides a telephone-based Dementia Adviser for a full day. Providing essential support to those affected by dementi
- £15 turns four ordinary citizens into superhero Dementia Friends! There is a stigma attached to living with dementia and Dementia Friends facilitates societal change, helping people understand the impact on people’s lives
Why you should join our cycling challenge
- The health benefits – cycling can increase stamina, strength and aerobic fitness. It’s also a fun way to get fit!
- Burn calories – cycling can help you maintain a healthy weight and keep active
- Do it at home or on the road – whether you want to complete the challenge on a bike outdoors or take to the road, it's completely up to you. If you've got a stationary bike at home, now's the time to dust it off and put it into use!
- Help us beat dementia – The money you raise from this challenge will help fund a range of important services to help people affected by dementia
What is Cycle for dementia
We’re challenging everyone to cycle 100, 250 or 500 miles in 30 days. You can track your miles each day using a smart watch or your phone. If you’d like to increase the distance and set a higher target, that’s completely up to you!
Are there any registration or participation fees?
No – Cycle for Dementia is free to take part!
Is there a fundraising target?
You can set your own target, we suggest £100.
Everyone who raises £100 will be posted an Alzheimer's Society medal, everyone who raises £300 will be posted an Alzheimer's Society top. (UK residents only).
How do I get my Cycle for Dementia medal?
All UK residents who raise £100 or more on their JustGiving fundraising page will receive a special medal in the post to say thank you.
We'll send out one medal per fundraising page setup, if you would like additional medals please get in touch.
You don't need to do anything to claim your medal, we'll pop it in the post. We send out medals in the last week of each month, so your medal should arrive within 4-6 weeks of you hitting the £100 target. If it's been longer than 6 weeks and you haven't heard from us, please pop us an email so we can help to [email protected].
How do I fundraise?
Please set up a Just Giving page to fundraise. All income is transferred directly to us. You will be able to share your progress on Facebook and Twitter too.
We will also provide fundraising tips and support throughout your journey. We ask you to get any final donations over to us within a month of completing your challenge.
How will Alzheimer’s Society use the funds I have raised?
The money you raise will make a big difference to the lives of many affected by dementia. We fund essential support services for people living with dementia and their carers, as well as funding research to find a cure.
To find out more you can visit our website at www.alzheimers.org.uk.
Can I take cash donations?
You can pay offline donations into your fundraising page, you also have the option to collect sponsorship via our sponsorship form or by sending us a cheque. Please view the full list on how to send in your offline donations.
How do I track my miles and can I link my fitness app?
You can track your miles however you wish. Use your favourite app or make a tally.
If you use Strava, you can link your account to your JustGiving page to track your activities and share your progress with your supporters . When viewing your page, scroll down to the Fitness Activity box and click Connect with Strava. See the full instructions here.
Only connect once you're ready to start your challenge as all of your activities will upload to your page. Once setup you can change your settings by clicking Manage Strava Settings found in the same Fitness Activity box on your fundraising page. This will let you pick what information you share on your page.
If you don't use Strava, you'll find a button to Add manual data in the Fitness Activity box, under the Connect with Strava button. You can manually add your activities to keep your supporters updated on your progress and track your total activity.
See JustGiving's help pages here if you're having a problem connecting.
Can I get an Alzheimer's cycling jersey?
All UK residents who raise £300+ on their JustGiving page will get a free cycling jersey. We'll be in touch once you've hit this target to ask for your preferred size.
If you've hit £300 and not heard from us, please email [email protected] with your size (XS/S/M/L/XL/XXL) so we can order one for you.
Or you can buy running kit in our shop.