Assessment for care and support in Northern Ireland

7. Making a complaint

If the person with dementia or their carer has a complaint, it is advisable to try and address it with the person they have contact with, eg the assessor or care manager. There may simply have been a failure in communication or a misunderstanding that can be easily rectified. However, if this is not successful, there is a trusts complaints procedure. The HSC trust will explain how to use this. The complaints procedure might be useful if:

  • there are problems arranging an assessment
  • there is an unreasonably long wait for an assessment
  • the services needed are not provided, or are unsatisfactory.

If the HSC trust's complaints procedure does not resolve the issue either, you can take your complaint to the Northern Ireland Ombudsman (see 'Other useful organisations' at the end of this page).