Assessment for care and support in Northern Ireland

Read Northern Ireland-specific guidance for accessing care and support at home for people with dementia and carers. 

What care and support is available for people affected by dementia in Northern Ireland?

Many people with dementia and their carers will need care and support as the condition progresses.

All care should help people with dementia and those supporting them to live well whether this comes from a carer, family, friends or professionals. The types of care put in place will be different for everyone, because everyone’s needs are different. 

The process can feel overwhelming, but you don’t have to do this alone. With the right information and support, you can understand your options and make the right decisions for you and the person you care for. 

A health and social care assessment shows what needs the person with dementia has, and what needs you, as a carer may have. It also includes what care and support will meet these needs. 

Some people with dementia and their carers have their care and support provided and paid for by the local health and social care (HSC) trust. For some people the local HSC trust may only pay some money towards their care and support. Others may have to pay for their care and support themselves. 

You have to meet certain ‘criteria’ (conditions) to have your needs met by the local HSC trust. If you wish to get care and support paid for by the local HSC trust you must have either: 

Asking for information and advice as early as possible will help you to plan ahead for care and support. This will help you and the person you care for to have more time to explore options and find out what is available locally. It also helps with planning for emergencies or preparing for times when you may not be able to care for them.

Living in England or Wales?

This information is for people living in Northern Ireland, as assessment for care and support is different in England and Wales. See our information on assessment for care in these countries:

England Wales
Previous Section
You are on the first page