Step Up for Dementia
Step Up for Dementia
About the challenge
People living with dementia need us now more than ever. So we’re asking you to go the extra mile and sign up now to take part in our Step Up for Dementia challenge.
We’re challenging each person to take on either our one month or three-month step challenge.
However you complete your steps are up to you – walk, run, or dance your way to the distance. There’s lots of ways to keep active whilst at home too, such as mowing the lawn, hoovering, skipping and stair climbing – get the kids involved too!
- We’d encourage each person taking part to raise at least £100 for Alzheimer’s Society
- Track your distance using your phone, smart watch or other device. You can link your Strava app to your JustGiving fundraising page to keep your friends and family up to date
- Each person is responsible for tracking their mileage
- Make sure you follow the rules and regulations for your area to keep you and your community safe. For most areas in the UK this will mean only taking part in the challenge with your household and ensuring you socially distance with public whilst completing your challenge. Find out more here for Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England
What your fundraising will support
- £9.90 will begin someone’s Dementia Connect journey by providing the first conversation with one of our telephone-based Dementia Advisers
- Telephone-based Dementia Advisers give essential support across the three nations, £95 can support them for a full day
- Just £3.83 turns an ordinary citizen into superhero Dementia Friend! There is a stigma attached to living with dementia that is both deeply hurtful, and overwhelmingly unfair. Dementia Friends is at its core an instrument for societal change, waking people up to the truth about dementia and helping them understand the impact on people’s lives
Why you should step forward and join our challenge
- The health benefits – walking can reduce stress, lower blood pressure and give you an energy boost
- Burn calories – walking can help you maintain a healthy weight and keep active
- Stay motivated - this challenge is a great way to keep motivated to stay active, by helping you strive for a consistent daily exercise target
- Help us beat dementia – the money you raise from this challenge will help fund a range of important services to help people affected by dementia
What is Step Up for Dementia?
There are two options to choose from. You can either complete 10,000 steps a day in a month, or for a tougher challenge you could try and complete 850,000 steps within a three-month period – that’s the same number of people living with dementia in the UK right now.
Are there any registration or participation fees?
No – Step Up for Dementia is free to take part!
Is there a fundraising target?
We’re asking you to raise at least £100 each to help support people with dementia. That’s just 10 x £10 donations.
How do I get my Step Up for Dementia medal?
Everyone who raises £100 or more on their fundraising page will receive a special medal to say thank you.
You don't need to do anything to claim your medal, we'll pop it in the post after your challenge.
Our teams are still working at home at the moment, so there is a delay in posting our medals. We aim to get your medal to you within 3 months of you finishing your challenge. We will pop you an email once its been posted so you can look out for it.
How do I fundraise?
Please set up a Just Giving page to fundraise. All income is transferred directly to us. You will be able to share your progress on Facebook and Twitter too. We will also provide fundraising tips and support throughout your journey. We ask you to get any final donations over to us within a month of completing your challenge.
How will Alzheimer’s Society use the funds I have raised?
The money you raise will make a big difference to the lives of many affected by dementia. We fund essential support services for people living with dementia and their carers, as well as funding research to find a cure.
To find out more you can visit our website at www.alzheimers.org.uk.
Can I take cash donations?
You can pay offline donations into your fundraising page, you also have the option to collect sponsorship via our sponsorship form or by sending us a cheque. Please view the full list on how to send in your offline donations.
Can I meet other people taking part?
Can I get a Step Up for Dementia t-shirt?
How do I track my steps and can I link my fitness app?
If you use Strava, you can link your account to your JustGiving page to track your activities and share your progress with your supporters . When viewing your page, you'll see a orange button on the right hand side of the page 'Connect with Strava'. See the full instructions here.
Only connect once you're ready to start your challenge as all of your activities will upload to your page. Once setup you can change your settings by clicking 'Manage Strava Settings' on the right hand side of your fundraising page, this will let you pick what information you share on your page and what activities are shared.
If you don't use Strava, you'll find a button 'Add manual data' on the right hand side of your fundraising page, under the connect with Strava button. You can manually add your activities to keep your supporters updated on your progress and track your total activity.