Resources for your Game Over Dementia fundraising
Make the most from your Game Over Dementia fundraising with downloadable resources, further information about the challenge, and ways to look after your wellbeing while you're gaming online.
Here you can download extra materials and resources to make sure you get the most from your Game Over Dementia challenge.
- Game Over Dementia welcome pack - download the 7-page welcome pack (.pdf) to give you all the information you need to setup your event and some top tips.
- Game Over Dementia impact sheet - download the 5-page impact sheet (.pdf) so you can talk confidently about Alzheimer's Society, our work and dementia as a topic during your event.
Look after your wellbeing while gaming
We want to make sure you have the best possible experience during your event so here are some tips for looking after your wellbeing when gaming:
- Take regular breaks.
- Keep hydrated.
- If you experience any abuse, stop, take a break and report the person.
- Don't share your personal information with people you don't know.
You can find more resources about keeping safe and looking after you mental health below:
- Rethink Mental Illness has a great Safe Gaming Guide
- Twitch has guidance on how to manage harrassment in the chat
- Alzheimer's Society also has information on what to say when someone makes an unkind joke about dementia
- Safe in our World is a charity that encourages discussion around mental health in gaming and have great resources if you need any more information.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Here we answer some of the most commonly-asked questions about Game Over Dementia and other fundraising challenges.
How do I take part?
How can people donate to my event?
Once you have a JustGiving page created you can integrate your page and stream so people can donate while they watch or simply send a link to your JustGiving event page. Find out more about JustGiving and livestreaming.
How do I fundraise?
Your options are almost limitless but some of the more popular methods are to host a gameathon for a set amount of time (we wouldn't suggest more than 24-hours), a tournament with friends, or simply livestream your favourite game with some added challenges.
Can I sign up if I'm under 18?
Yes, you can but we ask that you get parental permission first. This is so that they can help you look after your wellbeing and mental health. We have some links at the top of this section to help.
Do I have to use Twitch?
No, we know that everyone is different and have their own preferences. Twitch is the easiest way for some but do whatever works for you. If livestreaming isn't for you then host a private event with friends or family. As long as you have a JustGiving page created you can share the link however you like.
How and when do I receive my merchandise?
If you've managed to reach some or all of our fundraising levels we'll send you the corresponding merchandise. This can take us up to two weeks after your event ends as we work off your JustGiving page. If you fundraised for GoD through another platform then drop us an email and with a link to your fundraising page.
Can I get more than one set of merchandise?
Unfortunately not, our system works on a total raised basis. This means if you don't manage to obtain all of your merchandise in one event you can get the remaining items by holding another event. This allows everyone to receive every piece of merchandise once, even if it take multiple events to reach each level.
What is Gift Aid and am I eligible?
Gift Aid is a scheme whereby Alzheimer's Society can claim back 25p for every £1 donated from HMRC as long as you are a UK taxpayer. When donating you should be able to choose whether you want to Gift Aid or not.
How does my gaming support Alzheimer's Society?
Your donations are a vital source of income which help to fund lifesaving support services and ground breaking research. You can find more information in the resource packs above or by visiting our 'How your money helps' webpage.