Involving young people with dementia and care homes
Alzheimer’s Society is encouraging the next generation to become dementia friendly.
- Uniting care homes and communities
- Involving the community with dementia and care homes
- You are here: Involving young people with dementia and care homes
- Involving local businesses with dementia and care homes
- The care home and community engagement toolkit
We have involved the National Citizenship Service, where one group of 16 – 18 year olds spent the weekend with care home residents playing games, singing and having fun.
Another group spoke to residents about their interests, then produced and performed a play incorporating elements they’d learnt from residents.
We have several schools and Pupil Referral Units visiting our homes. The young people are taking part and running activities with residents as well as sharing what they are learning in school with residents.
We are also working with local colleges and universities to encourage young people to come into care homes on work experience placements. We are engaging with students on health & social care, hair and beauty and performance courses.