Cycle for Dementia
Cycle for Dementia
We’re challenging you to cycle 100, 250 or 500 miles in 30 days. Sign up, track your miles and raise vital funds to help us support people living with dementia. If you raise £100 you'll receive a medal as a special thank you for your support.
- We’d encourage each person taking part to raise at least £100 for Alzheimer’s Society
- Track your distance using your phone, smart watch or other device. You can link your Strava app to your JustGiving fundraising page to keep your friends and family up to date
- Each person is responsible for tracking their mileage
- Make sure you follow the rules and regulations for your area to keep you and your community safe. For most areas in the UK this will mean only taking part in the challenge with your household and ensuring you socially distance with public whilst on your rides. Find out more here for Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England.
What your fundraising will support
- £9.90 will begin someone’s Dementia Connect journey by providing the first conversation with one of our telephone-based Dementia Advisers
- Telephone-based Dementia Advisers give essential support across the three nations, £95 can support them for a full day
- Just £3.83 turns an ordinary citizen into superhero Dementia Friend! There is a stigma attached to living with dementia that is both deeply hurtful, and overwhelmingly unfair. Dementia Friends is at its core an instrument for societal change, waking people up to the truth about dementia and helping them understand the impact on people’s lives
Why you should join our cycling challenge
- The health benefits – cycling can increase stamina, strength and aerobic fitness. It’s also a fun way to get fit!
- Burn calories – cycling can help you maintain a healthy weight and keep active
- Do it at home or on the road – if you’ve got a stationary bike at home, now’s the time to dust it off and put it into use! Whether you want to complete the challenge on a bike indoors or take to the road, it’s completely up to you. Just make sure you follow government advice
- Help us beat dementia – The money you raise from this challenge will help fund a range of important services to help people affected by dementia
What is Cycle for dementia
We’re challenging everyone to cycle 100, 250 or 500 miles within a month. You can track your miles each day using a smart watch or your phone. If you’d like to increase the distance and set a higher target, that’s completely up to you!
Are there any registration or participation fees?
No – Cycle for Dementia is free to take part!
Is there a fundraising target?
We’re asking you to raise at least £100 each to help support people with dementia. That’s just 10 x £10 donations.
For everyone who raises £100, we'll send out a medal to say thank you. As our teams are currently still working from home there may be a delay in getting your medal to you.
How do I get my Cycle for Dementia medal?
Everyone who raises £100 or more on their fundraising page will receive a special medal to say thank you.
You don't need to do anything to claim your medal, we'll pop it in the post after your challenge.
Our teams are still working at home at the moment, so there is a delay in posting our medals. We aim to get your medal to you within 3 months of you finishing your challenge. We will pop you an email once its been posted so you can look out for it.
How do I fundraise?
Please set up a Just Giving page to fundraise. All income is transferred directly to us. You will be able to share your progress on Facebook and Twitter too. We will also provide fundraising tips and support throughout your journey. We ask you to get any final donations over to us within a month of completing your challenge.
How will Alzheimer’s Society use the funds I have raised?
Can I take cash donations?
You can pay offline donations into your fundraising page, you also have the option to collect sponsorship via our sponsorship form or by sending us a cheque. Please view the full list on how to send in your offline donations.
How do I track my miles and can I link my fitness app?
If you use Strava, you can link your account to your JustGiving page to track your activities and share your progress with your supporters . When viewing your page, you'll see a orange button on the right hand side of the page 'Connect with Strava'. See the full instructions here.
Only connect once you're ready to start your challenge as all of your activities will upload to your page. Once setup you can change your settings by clicking 'Manage Strava Settings' on the right hand side of your fundraising page, this will let you pick what information you share on your page and what activities are shared.
If you don't use Strava, you'll find a button 'Add manual data' on the right hand side of your fundraising page, under the connect with Strava button. You can manually add your activities to keep your supporters updated on your progress and track your total activity.