Alzheimer's Society
Jump to: content Jump to: navigation   Accessibility Contact Us Mobile Shop

Go to Graphical version


This factsheet explains some of the main benefits to which people with dementia and their carers may be entitled. Such benefits are yours by right if you qualify. They could make a great difference to your life, and should be claimed.

The benefits described are available in England and Wales. Benefits in Northern Ireland largely mirror those in England, but there are some differences (such as with Council tax support). People claiming benefits in Northern Ireland should contact one of the useful organisations in Northern Ireland listed at the end of this factsheet for further details.

The factsheet contains a large amount of information. The first part looks generally at how to claim benefits. The rest of the factsheet describes some specific benefits, which have been grouped into the following sections:

  •  Care and mobility benefits
  • Benefits if unable to work
  • Carers' needs
  • Retirement
  • Help for people on a low income
  • Help with housing costs
  • Help with NHS costs.

Feel free to skip over any sections that aren't relevant to your situation.

If you are unsure about what you can claim, or how to fill in a form, ask for information and advice (see 'Useful organisations', at the end of this factsheet, for details).

Please read this factsheet in conjunction with factsheet 431, Benefits rates and income/savings thresholds, which lists the benefit amounts and is updated each year.

How to claim benefits

Claiming benefits can be a complex process. The various aspects are described here as follows: qualifying for benefits, where to claim, who to ask for information and advice, making a claim, keeping records of your claim, challenging a decision, and help for people not fluent in English.

Qualifying for benefits

To qualify for any benefit, you will have to meet certain conditions. These vary according to the type of benefit. Some benefits depend on a person having paid national insurance contributions over a period of time, some on the amount of their weekly income and savings, and some on the practical effects of a disability.

This factsheet does not cover all the benefits that exist: you may be entitled to others, depending on your situation, so always ask. Sometimes, getting one benefit may increase your entitlement to another and sometimes it may prevent you claiming another benefit, or reduce the amount you can claim. Again, if in doubt, always seek information and advice.

As a minimum, a person with dementia will usually claim Attendance allowance, Disability living allowance (care component) or the new Personal independence payment (either of the daily living components). Carers should check their entitlement to Carer's allowance.

Where to claim

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for administering the state pension and benefits. The system is organised so that:

  • benefits relating to people of working age, including children and families, are dealt with by Jobcentre Plus offices
  • the State pension and other benefits relating to people of state-pension age are dealt with by The Pension Service, part of the Pension and disability and carers service (PDCS)
  • disability benefits are dealt with by the Disability and Carers Service, part of the PDCS.

(See 'Useful organisations' at the end of this factsheet.)

Who to ask for information and advice

There are a number of different ways of getting information and advice on benefits, as well as help filling in forms, which can be complicated. Choose the approach that is most convenient for you. You may need to be persistent to get what you need. It might be useful to contact some of the following sources of support:

  • A professional, such as a social worker, may be able to advise or point you in the right direction.
  • DWP provides information on the gov.uk website about benefits and claim forms.
  • The Pension Service  or local Jobcentre Plus office will have explanatory leaflets and claim forms. They are contactable by telephone. A home visit from the local visiting service may be available if necessary. You can find your local branch in the business section of the phone book.
  • Other organisations, including your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) or advice centre, and a number of national telephone helplines, can give advice on the benefits you may be entitled to, and how to claim.

For full details, see the 'Useful organisations' section at the end of this factsheet.

Making a claim

Benefits are claimed either by filling in forms and sending them in the post, or by phoning a contact centre where an adviser will complete the form over the phone and send it to you to sign and return. Some benefits can be claimed by completing an online form on the gov.uk website. Do not delay in making a claim just because you don't have all the information you need or the right form. Certain benefits can start on the day you first contact your social security office or other relevant office to say you want to claim the benefit, whether it be in person, by letter or by phone. You will usually need to send in your claim form as soon as possible. If evidence is required, such as a letter from your doctor that you do not yet have, explain on the form that you will send it later. Some benefits can be backdated if you were eligible before you made the claim. You will usually need to ask for the benefit to be backdated.

Keeping records of your claim

When you are making a claim, it is easy to forget what information has been given, to whom and by whom. It helps if you can:

  • keep brief notes of the main points that have arisen in any relevant conversation, who the conversation was with, and the date it took place
  • keep copies of any letters or forms you have sent and any you have received – you may need these if there are delays in sorting out your claim, or if your claim is refused and you want to challenge the decision
  • have all the relevant details to hand if you want to discuss your claim over the phone or in person.

Challenging a decision

Most people receive the benefits they are entitled to without a problem. However, if you believe your claim has been incorrectly turned down, or that you have not been awarded the right amount of benefit, you have the right to challenge the decision. Write to the office that made the decision and ask them to revise it. If they do not alter their decision, you may be able to apply to an independent appeal tribunal.

Challenging a decision can be complex, and seeking advice as soon as possible can really help. Ask your local CAB or advice centre, your local authority's welfare rights unit, or the Alzheimer's Society National Dementia Helpline (details at the end of this factsheet).

Help for people not fluent in English

It is often difficult for people who are not fluent in English to determine which benefits they can claim and it is vital that they get appropriate assistance. Sources of support include:

  • CAB
  • social security offices and other relevant offices that have access to a telephone interpreting service, or have staff that can interpret or help to find a suitable interpreter (if you know of a suitable interpreter, ask if they will pay)
  • information leaflets that are translated into different languages (contact the relevant office to see what is available).

Care and mobility benefits

Attendance allowance, Disability living allowance and Personal independence payment

People with dementia do not automatically qualify for disability benefits – tests are required to determine the level of need. For people who do qualify, these benefits provide extra help to deal with the practical effects of a disability. They are tax free, and do not depend on national insurance contributions. Payment is not affected by the person's savings, nor usually by their income. A medical examination may be required. These benefits are paid at different rates, depending on the person's needs. They can be claimed whether the person works or not, and whether they live alone, with their family or with other people.

If your care needs started after the age of 65, or you have not made a claim until then, you should claim Attendance allowance. This is for help with personal care, not mobility.

If you have care and/or mobility needs and are aged under 65 you should claim Personal independence payment (PIP) instead. You must be under 65 when you make your first claim. PIP is the new benefit that replaced Disability living allowance (DLA) from June 2013. No new claims for DLA have been accepted since this date.

It is important to seek advice if you are already claiming one of these benefits and your needs change. If you are already claiming DLA you should be transferred to PIP by 2018. People who receive PIP before they are 65 will be able to stay on it after they reach 65.

The claim forms for PIP and Attendance allowance are very detailed and lengthy. There are questions about activities that the person with dementia finds difficult or impossible to carry out, and about their need for care and/or supervision. You should consider the bad days as well as the good when thinking about the help needed. It is a good idea to get advice from a professional (including advice centre staff) on filling in the form to make sure you are giving the information that is needed (see 'Useful organisations' at the end of this factsheet).

Attendance allowance

Personal care needs might include supervision of, or help with, activities such as washing, dressing, eating, going to the toilet, turning over or settling in bed, taking medication, or social or recreational activities. If you have a disabling condition such as dementia and are over 65, you may qualify for Attendance allowance at one of the following levels:

  • higher rate – if you need frequent help or prompting with personal care like washing or going to the toilet, or continual supervision to avoid danger during the day and also need help with personal care or supervision either for a prolonged period or several times during the night
  • lower rate – if you need frequent help or prompting with personal care, or continual supervision throughout the day or supervision either for a prolonged period or several times during the night.

Personal independence payment

PIP has daily living components and – unlike Attendance allowance – also mobility components. Depending on your situation, you may qualify for either or both. If you have a disabling condition such as dementia and are under 65, you may qualify for the daily living component of PIP at one of the following levels:

  • standard rate – if you have a limited ability to carry out daily living activities
  • enhanced rate – if you have a severely limited ability to carry out daily living activities.

If you have difficulties getting out and about you may qualify for the mobility component of PIP at one of the following levels:

  • standard rate – if you have a limited mobility
  • enhanced rate – if you have a severely limited mobility.

Making a claim consists of two stages: the basic claim and the claimant questionnaire. The basic claim is made by telephone or in writing on a PIP1 form (see Personal independence payments section in 'Useful organisations'). This is to establish the claim, and to ensure that you are eligible to apply. Once the basic claim has been successfully made, a 36-page claimant questionnaire (PIP2 – How your disability affects you) will be sent. This is aimed at gathering more information about how your health condition or impairment affects your day-to-day life. This form must be returned within one month, or longer (where the DWP considers it reasonable). During the basic claim stage, people who may have additional support needs, for example because of a cognitive impairment, should be contacted by the assessment providers to attend a medical assessment.

The assessment (either in writing on the PIP2 or face to face) is based on questions about activities. People can be assessed as having limited ability or severely limited ability.

Benefits if unable to work

Statutory sick pay

This is paid by employers to employees below retirement age, for up to 28 weeks in any one period of sickness. To qualify, you must earn a set amount or more each week before tax (see factsheet 431 for current amount), and must be off work because of sickness. This benefit is paid at a flat rate and is taxable.

Employment and support allowance (ESA)

In October 2008 a new benefit was created called Employment and support allowance (ESA). ESA has two forms – Contributory ESA (which replaced Incapacity benefit) and Income-related ESA (which replaced Income support claimed on the grounds of incapacity for work). People with Incapacity benefit or Income support on the grounds of incapacity for work are being transferred to Employment and support allowance.

You can still receive Income support if you qualify on grounds other than incapacity – see 'Income support' below.

ESA may be claimed by people under the State pension age for women (see 'State pension' below) who have a limited capacity to work because of an illness or a disability.

A work capability assessment will take place within the assessment phase (the first 13 weeks) that follows an initial claim for ESA. The first part of this work capability assessment will decide if you have a limited capability to work and therefore qualify for ESA. The second part of the assessment will decide what level of work you can do. If you have a limited capability for work then you will be placed in the 'support group' and if not, you will be placed in the 'work-related activity group'. If you are put in the support group you will not be expected to perform work-related activities and you will receive a higher level of ESA. If you are put into the 'work-related activity group' you will be expected to perform activities such as attending interviews.

There are two types of ESA – Contributory ESA and Income-related ESA. Normally you need to have paid enough national insurance to be eligible for Contributory ESA, and claims for Contributory ESA for people in the 'work-related activity group' are limited to 12 months.

Income-related ESA tops up the amount of money you have to a minimum level you need to live off and it is means tested in a similar way to the previous Income support benefit. You can receive Income-related ESA on its own or at the same time as Contributory ESA and it can help with mortgage interest payments and some other housing costs.

The amount of ESA that will be paid is determined through a fairly complicated set of requirements. The money you will receive will depend on your capacity to work, your past national insurance contributions, how long you have been claiming and whether you are entitled to one or both of the types of payment – income-related and contributory benefits. The payment can be backdated for up to three months and will continue until the person is able to work. It is important to seek advice if you think that you are not getting the right amount of money.

Both types of ESA are paid at a lower rate for the initial 13-week assessment period, then for people who are still entitled payment continues at the determined rate. People eligible for Income-related ESA may also be entitled to other benefits such as help with housing costs, Social fund payments and help with NHS costs.

The new Universal credit introduced under the Welfare Reform Act 2012 will replace Income-related ESA and Income support, in addition to a number of other means-tested benefits for people of working age between October 2013 and October 2017.

Carers' needs

Carer's allowance

This benefit can be paid to carers who spend at least 35 hours per week looking after someone who is receiving DLA (care component at highest or middle rate), PIP (daily living component at either rate) or Attendance allowance (at either rate). The carer does not have to be related to, or living with, the person they provide care for.

The benefit does not depend on national insurance contributions, but it is taxable. It gives most carers who are under State pension age a national insurance credit each week to help protect their State pension rights.

Carers must be over 16 when they first claim. In some cases, the person being cared for could lose some of their means-tested benefits if Carer's allowance is claimed, so it is important to seek advice before making a claim.

Carers are not eligible for Carer's allowance if they earn more than a limited amount each week after the deduction of allowable expenses, if they are in full-time education, or if they are receiving more than a specified amount from certain other pensions or benefits. However, people entitled to Carer's allowance may be entitled to additional amounts in other benefits they are claiming, such as Income support or Pension credit even if Carer's allowance is not actually payable because of certain other pensions or benefits in payment (ie if there is an underlying entitlement to Carer's allowance). If you are a carer and are unsure, you should seek advice.

Depending on their income, a carer may be able to claim a higher rate of benefit if their spouse or partner is dependent on them financially. If a carer has dependent children, they may also be able to claim Child tax credit.


The Pension service

DWP set up the Pension service to deal with the State pension and other pension-related benefits. If you have reached, or are nearing, State pension age, the Pension service will write to you and give you a phone number to call for information. Your queries will usually be dealt with over the phone or by post, but the service can arrange for someone to visit you at home, if necessary. For more information, see 'Useful organisations', at the end of this factsheet.

State pension

A State pension is paid to people who reach State pension age if they have made sufficient national insurance contributions. It is taxable. The State pension age for men is currently 65. The State pension age for women born on or before 5 April 1950 is 60. The pension age for men and women is gradually rising so that by 2020 it will be 66. After that it will rise to 68 for both men and women.

People who do not have sufficient contributions may receive a reduced State pension or no pension at all. Married women, divorced women and widowed people who do not have sufficient contributions of their own may be able to claim on the contributions of their partner or former partner and should seek further advice.

People may also qualify for extra pension for a number of reasons. People over 80 who do not qualify for a State pension or full State pension may be eligible for an over-80s pension, which does not depend on national insurance contributions.

You can claim your pension if you are still working. However, if you want to, you can defer your pension for up to five years and earn extra pension.

If you, or a person you are caring for, are unsure what pension you are likely to get, contact the Future pensions centre and ask for form BR19 to apply for a State pension forecast, or download the form from the website (see 'Useful organisations').

If you are entitled to a State pension, the Pension service should contact you about four months before you reach State pension age. If you have not heard anything three months before reaching State pension age, contact your social security office or the Pension service claims line (see 'Useful organisations').

If you are below State pension age but unable to work, you may be able to protect your State pension rights by getting national insurance contribution credits. These are automatically given to people receiving certain benefits, such as Incapacity benefit, ESA and Carer's allowance. Alternatively, carers who do not receive these benefits may be able to protect their rights through a new weekly credit to build up their State pension entitlement. This scheme replaces the Home responsibilities protection scheme and may make a considerable difference to your State pension. Previous protection built up under the Home responsibilities protection scheme will be incorporated into the new system. If you think you may be eligible, seek advice.

Pension credit

If you are unable to claim the State pension, or it is not enough for you to live on, you may be entitled to claim other benefits, such as Pension credit.

The age at which men and women are eligible to claim Pension credit will increase in line with the changes in the State pension age for women (see 'State pension' above). Pension credit is a means-tested benefit. It has two parts: Guarantee credit and Savings credit.

Pension credit guarantee credit works by topping up a person's income (see factsheet 431 for current amounts). Savings credit is extra money for people aged 65 and over who have an income level above the basic retirement pension level, or who have savings or investments. It is based on the total amount of income that a person has, including income received from private or occupational pensions.

Some people are entitled to both the Guarantee and Savings credits, while others are entitled to one or the other. If someone has a partner, they must claim Pension credit as a couple.

People eligible for Pension credit may also qualify for other benefits such as help with housing costs, Social fund payments and NHS costs.

Help for people on a low income

Income support

Income support is a means-tested benefit to help people with basic living expenses who have not reached the qualifying age for Pension credit and who are not required to be available for work, such as carers. There are strict criteria for people who qualify for Income support.

You may be able to claim Income support if you have a low income and limited savings, or limited joint savings with a partner. Whether or not you qualify may depend on the number of hours you and any partner work each week. Income support can be paid in full or as a top up to other pensions and income. If you have a partner you must claim Income support together.

Income support does not depend on national insurance contributions, but savings and income (including income from most benefits) will be taken into account. Income from Attendance allowance, DLA and PIP will be ignored when calculating weekly income, unless the person is in a care home, but savings over a certain amount usually mean you cannot receive Income support.

The amount of Income support paid varies according to age, existing income and savings, and entitlement to any available premiums. Premiums are awarded to people receiving certain disability benefits and carers receiving the Carer's allowance, for example, so it is important to seek advice.

If you are a homeowner, you may receive help with mortgage interest payments, interest payments on loans for certain repairs and improvements, ground rent and some service charges. This will depend on the circumstances of those living in your home. You may not qualify for immediate help with your housing costs.

You can no longer claim Income support if you cannot work because you have a disability or illness. You should claim ESA instead – see 'Benefits if unable to work' section above.

Jobseeker's allowance

Some people of working age who are not working, or are working less than an average of 16 hours per week, may claim Jobseeker's allowance instead of Income support. They must be capable of work and actively seeking work.

Jobseeker's allowance is in two parts:

  • contribution based – paid for 26 weeks, to people with sufficient national insurance contributions
  • income based – calculated in a similar way to Income support.

Social fund

Social fund reform

Changes contained in the Welfare Reform Act 2012 mean that certain elements of the discretionary social fund scheme, such as community care grants and some crisis loans (including rent in advance), were abolished in April 2013. New locally based schemes are being delivered by local authorities in England and devolved to the governments of Scotland and Wales.

Crisis loan alignment payments

In April 2013, Crisis loan alignment payments that are needed because of delays with benefit payments were replaced by a new national scheme of Short-term benefit advances. This is administered by DWP.

Budgeting loans

Budgeting loans will continue to be available until the new Universal credit is fully rolled out. As people migrate across to Universal credit they will have access to a new system of Budgeting advances that will replace Budgeting loans for Universal credit recipients.

Cold weather and winter fuel payments

  • Cold weather payments – These may be paid if the average temperature in your area falls or is forecast to fall to freezing point or below for seven consecutive days. These payments are made automatically to people receiving some means-tested benefits including Pension credit and Income support.
  • Winter fuel payments – If you are of eligible age, you will normally qualify for a winter fuel payment to help with the cost of fuel. See factsheet 431 for current amounts. The age at which people receive a winter fuel payment is rising because it is linked to the State pension age for women which is increasing (see 'State pension' above). People over 80 may be eligible for more money. Many people living in care homes are not eligible for this payment. This benefit is not means tested or taxable, and will not affect any other benefits you are claiming. For more information, or to apply, you can contact the Winter fuel payment helpline (see 'Useful organisations' below).
  • Funeral payments – if you are responsible for a funeral, you may be able to claim payment towards reasonable costs, providing you are the closest surviving relative and you are receiving certain benefits such as Income support, income-based Jobseeker's allowance or Pension credit. Check on your entitlement before making arrangements. You can claim up to three months after the funeral. The funeral payment often has to be repaid from the assets of the person who has died.

Help with housing costs

If you receive Income support, Income-related employment and support allowance, Income-related jobseeker's allowance or Pension credit guarantee credit, you may qualify for help with your rent, council tax and NHS costs. You may also be eligible to apply for help with your rent and council tax if you are on a low income.

Support for mortgage interest

You may get help paying some of your mortgage interest, if you are entitled to Income support, Income-related ESA, income-based Jobseeker's allowance, or Pension credit guarantee credit.

Housing benefit

Housing benefit is a social security benefit to help pay for rent. It is assessed and paid for by local councils. The amount of benefit paid will normally depend on the person's income and savings, and the rent being charged. You may not be eligible for Housing benefit if you have savings over a set amount.

People renting from a private landlord usually have their Housing benefit based on their local housing allowance. Local housing allowance is set locally, and rates can be found on local authority websites. In some instances a room for a carer can be included in the amounts.

Similar provisions now also apply to people in social sector housing. The under-occupancy size criteria (popularly referred to as the bedroom tax) means that, if it is considered that you have too many bedrooms, the amount of your Housing benefit will be cut by 14% (for one bedroom too many) or 25% (for two or more bedrooms too many).

Housing benefit is also being capped under the Benefit cap provisions, which currently apply to Housing benefit but will also apply to Universal credit as it is implemented around the country. Existing claimants may therefore find their Housing benefit reduced if their income is more than £350 per week for single people (or £500 for couples).

If you live with a partner, only one of you should apply for Housing benefit. However, your income and savings will be considered jointly and other adults living with you will affect the amount of Housing benefit you can receive.

Housing benefit does not depend on national insurance contributions and is tax free. It can be claimed at the same time as Income support, income-based Jobseeker's allowance, Income-related ESA or Pension credit. A claim form for Housing benefit is included in the application packs for means-tested benefits. If you are not applying for another benefit you can ask the local authority for an application form.

Help with council tax

The Council tax is set by local authorities to pay for the services they provide. The amount of Council tax support that a person or couple is eligible for depends on income and savings, and the amount of Council tax due. For information on Council tax support discounts, reductions and exemptions see our factsheet on Council tax (414).

Help with NHS costs

NHS benefits

People receiving Income support, income-based Jobseeker's allowance, Pension credit, Working tax credit (a payment that you may qualify for if you work but are on a low income) or Income-related ESA, providing their capital is less than a certain amount (see Factsheet 431), may be eligible for:

  • free prescriptions (prescriptions are also free for anyone aged 60 and over)
  • free dental treatment from NHS dentists
  • free sight tests and vouchers towards the cost of glasses – sight tests are also free for anyone aged 60 and over
  • help with hospital travel costs for NHS treatment and free appliances for outpatients or day patients.

NHS hearing aids are prescribed by an NHS consultant to anyone needing them on free loan. They are fitted, serviced and supplied with batteries free of charge.

NHS low income scheme

If you do not receive any of the above benefits but are on a low income, and have savings below the limit, you can apply for help towards NHS health costs. The amount of financial help you receive will depend on your savings and income.

You need to complete an HC1 form which you can get from Jobcentre Plus offices and NHS hospitals. Some GPs, dentists and opticians may also stock them. Alternatively, request a form from the Department of Health Publications Orderline on 0300 123 1002, minicom number 0300 123 1003. Health and Social Care Publications PO Box 777 London SE1 6XH.

If you live in a care home you can apply on a special short form called HC1(SC). Ask the care home manager or a carer for this form or use the HC1 form.

For more information on help with NHS costs, see the booklet HC11 Help with health costs, available from any of the above sources or search for 'HC11' on the Department of Health website (see 'Useful organisations').

Special notes

Benefits in hospital

Benefits may be affected if either a carer or a person with dementia goes into an NHS hospital for more than a short continuous stay. In this case, it is important to seek advice and inform the local social security office, Jobcentre Plus office or pension centre as appropriate.

Benefits in a care home

For information on benefits for people living in a care home, see factsheet 468, Paying care home fees.

For details of Alzheimer's Society services in your area, visit alzheimers.org.uk/localinfo

For information about a wide range of dementia-related topics, visit alzheimers.org.uk/factsheets

Useful organisations

Age UK

Tavis House
1–6 Tavistock Square
London WC1H 9NA
T 0800 169 8787 (general enquiries)
   0800 169 6565 (advice line)
E contact@ageuk.org.uk
W www.ageuk.org.uk

Wales – Age Cymru
T 223 444 (advice line)
E enquiries@agecymru.org.uk
W www.agecymru.org.uk

Northern Ireland – Age NI
T 0808 808 7575
E info@ageni.org
W www.ageuk.org.uk/northern-ireland

Provides information and advice for older people in the UK. Age UK has been created by the merger of Age Concern and Help the Aged.

Carers UK

20 Great Dover Street
London SE1 4LX
T 0808 808 7777 (free Adviceline, open Wednesday and Thursday 10am–12pm and 2pm–4pm; to book a call back from an adviser, you can call on Monday 9am–9pm)
E info@carersuk.org (general enquiries)
advice@carersuk.org (advice line)
W www.carersuk.org

Provides information and advice to carers about their rights, including benefits, and how to access support.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Various locations
W www.citizensadvice.org.uk
www.adviceguide.org.uk (online information resource)

Your local CAB can provide information and advice in confidence or point you in the right direction to further sources of support. Trained CAB advisers can offer information on benefits in a way that is easy to understand. To find your nearest CAB, look in the phone book, ask at your local library or look on the website (above). Opening times vary.

Disability and Carers Service – Northern Ireland

T 0800 220 674 (9am–5pm weekdays except Thursday; 10am–5pm Thursday)
   0800 243 787 (textphone, 9am–5pm weekdays)

Provides advice and information on Attendance allowance, Disability living allowance, Personal independence allowance, Carer's allowance and Carer's credit.

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

W www.gov.uk

The government department responsible for employment and social security. The gov.uk website gives details of the various benefits and how to claim them. Claim forms are available to download.

Department of Health

Richmond House
79 Whitehall
London SW1A 2NS
T 020 7210 4850 (8.30am–5.30pm weekdays)
   020 7210 5025 (textphone)
E use the enquiry form on the website (see below)
W www.dh.gov.uk

The government department responsible for health, social care, and the National Health Service (NHS). Provides a range of information and literature, including help with NHS costs.

Department of Health Publications Orderline

T 0300 123 1002
W www.orderline.dh.gov.uk

Phoneline operated by the Department of Health. Callers can phone to order a range of Department of Health publications.

Independent Age

6 Avonmore Road
London W14 8RL
T 0845 626 1863 (advice line, weekdays 10am–4pm)
E charity@independentage.org
W www.independentage.org

Provides advice, information and financial support for older people, their families and carers. Advises on benefits.

NHS Help with health costs advice line

T 0300 330 1343

Provides NHS patients with information about entitlements to prescription charge exemptions and the requirements to qualify for exemptions.

NI Direct

W www.dsdni.gov.uk

Government website for Northern Ireland which allows you to access information and services, including information about benefits.

Pensions, Disability and Carers Service (PDCS)

Pension enquiries

T 0845 60 60 265 (8am–6pm weekdays)

State pension claim line

T 0800 731 7898
W www.gov.uk/state-pension

The section of the Department for Work and Pensions responsible for the State pension and Pension credit. Claim forms are available to download from the gov.uk website. Alternatively, a member of staff can take claim applications over the phone.

Future Pension Centre

Department for Work and Pensions
Tyneview Park
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1BA
T 0845 3000 168
Textphone 0845 3000 169
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

W www.gov.uk/future-pension-centre

Provides State Pension statements and information.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

DWP Personal Independence Payment (4)
Warbreck House
T 0845 850 3322
Textphone: 0845 601 6677
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

New claims only

Personal Independence Payment
PO Box 1303

T 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Postal address for DLA Adult (aged 16 and over) and AA

Disability benefits
Warbreck House
Warbreck Hill
Lancashire FY2 0YE

T 08457 123 456
Textphone: 08457 224 433
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Winter Fuel Payments Helpline

T 0845 915 1515 (8.30am–4.30pm weekdays)

W www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

Provides information about Winter fuel payment, guidance on reporting changes to your circumstances, and a claim form.

Factsheet 413

Last reviewed: November 2011, updated: August 2013
Next review due: November 2013

Reviewed by: Mary Nash, Independent Welfare Benefits Trainer, Buckinghamshire and Helen Winfield, Wolverhampton City Council Welfare Rights Service

Order now

Order a free copy of this publication

Alzheimer's Society helpline

If you have any questions about the information on this factsheet, or require further information, please contact the Alzheimer’s Society helpline.

0300 222 11 22

Legal and financial

Visit our section about legal and financial affairs.

Copyright and permission requests

Find out how you can request permission to use our information beyond this site.

How to help people with dementia: A guide for customer-facing staff

Our booklet How to help people with dementia: A guide for customer-facing staff provides comprehensive information on recognising and responding to the needs of people with dementia in shops, businesses and services


Order now

Order a free copy of this publication

Alzheimer's Society helpline

If you have any questions about the information on this factsheet, or require further information, please contact the Alzheimer’s Society helpline.

0300 222 11 22

Legal and financial

Visit our section about legal and financial affairs.

Copyright and permission requests

Find out how you can request permission to use our information beyond this site.