Turn every £1 donation into £1.25
Under Gift Aid, the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will usually top up every £1 given to Alzheimer's Society with 25p. So the Society could receive £250 for every £1,000 you donate with no extra expense to you or your sponsors.*
For donations to be eligible for Gift Aid, the donor needs to be a UK taxpayer and will have had to have paid an amount of income/capital gains tax equal to or higher than the amount claimed by all charities and CASCs from HM Revenue & Customs. (taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify).
This means, for the Society to claim £2.50 on a £10 donation, the sponsor must have paid at least £2.50 in tax.
Gift Aid cannot be claimed on company donations.
Gift Aid and sponsorship
To allow us to claim this much-needed additional income, your sponsors must:
- Tick the Gift Aid box on your sponsorship form when they sponsor you.
- Write their full name and title (minimum of initial and surname).
- Include their home address (house number/name and postcode is the minimum requirement we need to be able to claim Gift Aid).
- Avoid ditto marks. If a number of sponsors live at the same address, they must each complete the address and postcode fields.
- The name, amount, address and post code fields must be filled out in the sponsors own hand writing.
- Donate individually. You cannot make joint donations, for example from Mr and Mrs Smith as the HMRC needs to determine who the taxpayer is.
- Reassure your sponsors that we do not use their details for marketing purposes.
- Fill in the 'date payment received box' on the sponsorship form when you receive the donation.
- Return all sponsorship forms with your donation form to Alzheimer's Society when all the outstanding funds have been collected. We can't claim the Gift Aid without these forms.
The information above applies to offline donations only. Justgiving and other online fundraising sites will automatically claim Gift Aid on behalf of your sponsors where they are eligible.
For more information about Gift Aid, please contact the Customer Care team on 0330 333 0804 or visit the HMRC's website: hmrc.gov.uk
Please note that if there are restrictions specific to Alzheimer's Society event you are taking part in, additional Gift Aid information can be found in your event pack.
If you are organising your own event, please note that money raised through sales of tickets, goods or refreshements is not eligible or Gift Aid.
Gift Aid Declaration
* Please note that Gift Aid top-ups cannot be considered part of your sponsorship target.