2. Our principles
As part of our project to unite care homes with their local communities, we're guided by five core principles.
Our principles include:
- We believe that nobody affected by dementia should be excluded from their local community, that includes people living in care homes.
- People living with dementia in care homes should be supported to remain engaged with the community.
- Care homes should be seen as an asset in community life, with gardens, space and residents with skills and heritage and that can be shared locally.
- Dementia Friends sessions with care home residents, family, staff and community members can help reduce the stigma of dementia and promote community connections.
- There should be an increase in awareness of dementia in care homes.