Finding a care home

3. Finding care homes in your area

Lists of local care homes and inspection reports are available from the Care Quality Commission (CQC) in England, the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) or the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA) in Northern Ireland. See 'Useful organisations' for contact details. However, not all care homes are suitable for people with dementia. A professional such as a doctor or social worker, or a voluntary organisation such as your local Alzheimer's Society or Age UK office, may be able to give advice on the type of home that may be suitable for someone with dementia. 

Phone or write to a number of homes and ask about the level of care provided for people with dementia, the fees and the waiting list. Review any information they send you. It is important to visit the homes that seem promising.