Paying for care in Wales

2. Who pays?

Although there are national rules about who is required to pay for care and support, some local areas may have different arrangements from others. These mainly depend on the type of care and support that the person needs and where they live. If someone is still living in their own home, they might have to pay for the costs of their own care and support, but the local authority (council) may also contribute. This depends on the person’s income and other assets (such as savings or shares). Some people will be assessed as having to pay for all their own care and support at home. These people are sometimes termed ‘self-funders’. People living in their own home must still be left with a basic level of income, and the Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014 states that charges must be ‘reasonable’.

If someone is living in a care home, they might pay for all of their care and support costs (self-funders), or they may make a contribution, with the local authority also contributing. Again, this depends on the person’s income and assets. Some people in care homes may have all of their care funded by the local authority if they have a low income or few assets (see ‘Financial assessments’ below). Some people may have all or part of their care funded by the NHS (see ‘Nursing care costs’ below).