Paying for care in Wales

14. Complaints

If you have a complaint, first try to settle it with the local authority, NHS body or care home. Both health and social care complaints can ultimately be taken to the relevant ombudsman, but it is always necessary to try to resolve the issue locally first. The local authority and the local health board should have a published complaints procedure that you can ask for.

People who are self-funding should take their complaint to the care provider in the first place. If it cannot be resolved they should ask the Care and Social Services Inspectorate for Wales (CSSIW) to investigate their complaint.

Funding decisions can be complicated. Some of the organisations listed in ‘Other useful organisations’ at the end of this factsheet may be able to help.