Northern Ireland: Personal budgets

8. What can be done if things go wrong?

Anyone who is not happy with anything that the trust does should, in the first instance, contact their social worker, care manager or key worker. If these people cannot sort things out, the person can complain to the trust. Each trust has leaflets available on how to do this.

Complaints about agency workers or employed individuals should be taken up with the contracted service provider.

For details of Alzheimer's Society services in your area

For information about a wide range of dementia-related topics