4. Why should I consider making an advance decision or advance statement?
There are a number of reasons why you may wish to make an advance decision or advance statement:
- It can be reassuring to know that you will not be given treatment in the future that you do not want.
- It ensures your views and wishes are taken into account.
- It can help to start conversations about your future care with doctors and nurses that you may not have otherwise.
- It can also help to prompt discussions with your family about your wishes, and what you would like to happen in the future.
- It can take the burden away from your family, who otherwise may be asked to make these decisions for you.