Paying for care in Northern Ireland

4. Financial assessment

A financial assessment is used to work out who should pay for the care and support a person needs. The trust may carry out an assessment to determine how much money they should contribute to a person's care, and whether the person has to pay anything towards it themselves.

The trust may carry out a financial assessment if a person requires social care services in their own home, or a placement in a nursing home or residential care home. Depending on the outcome of the financial assessment, the trust may not make a contribution towards all services a person may need. However, they will contribute to things like home help and residential care.

The financial assessment usually involves the person or their carer completing some forms about their finances. Someone from the HSC trust may also visit the person to ask questions about their finances and fill in the forms on their behalf.

Some people find it uncomfortable talking about their financial circumstances during this visit. However, it is important to be honest. If you don't share information, you may end up having to pay for services that would otherwise have been free.

Some of the forms include a space for the partner or spouse of the person with dementia to include their own financial information. However, the HSC trust should only assess the person who actually needs the service. Any joint accounts, investments or savings should be divided, and only the share belonging to the person with dementia should be included on the form.

If you have questions about the financial assessment, ask the person conducting the interview. Alternatively, the finance department of the HSC trust will be able to provide assistance and support with the process.