Paying for care in Northern Ireland

2. Community care assessment

Help and support services will be arranged through the social services department of an HSC trust. Each trust has a duty to assess the specific needs of people with dementia living in that area who may require support, and to meet these needs. If someone with dementia or their carer feels that they need extra help or support, they can approach the social services department of their trust and ask to have their care needs assessed. This is done by carrying out a 'community care assessment', which is used to tell the trust about the help a person needs. The trust has to carry out this assessment when it appears someone may need services.