LGBT: Living with dementia

9. Other useful organisations

Community Health Councils in Wales

Independent bodies who listen to what individuals and the community have to say about the health services provided for them. To find your local one, use the NHS direct Wales page above.

EASS (Equality Advisory and Support Service)

0808 800 0082 (helpline, 9am–7pm Monday to Friday, 10am–2pm Saturday)

Provides support and advice about your rights in England, Wales and Scotland.

Equality Commission for Northern Ireland

028 90 500 600

Provides information and advice about your rights in Northern Ireland.

GIRES (Gender Identity Research and Education Society)

01372 801554

Aims to improve the lives of trans and gender nonconforming people, including those who are non-binary and non-gender. Hosts Tranzwiki, a comprehensive directory of the groups campaigning for, supporting or assisting trans and gender non-conforming individuals.


Government website with information, guidance and links to services and resources for LGBT people, including gender recognition certificates.

LGBT Consortium

020 7064 6500

Organisation focusing on the development and support of LGBT groups, organisations and projects. Has a directory where you can search for LGBT services by location.

Local Government Ombudsman

0300 061 0614 (8.30am–5pm weekdays)

The final stage for complaints about councils and some other organisations providing local public services. Also includes adult social care providers (such as care homes and home care providers).

National LGB & T Partnership

020 7064 6506

Group of organisations that aims to reduce health inequalities and improve access to health and social care for LGBT people. Website includes resources and links to local organisations.

Opening Doors London

020 7239 0400

Charity providing information and support services with and for older lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people in London.

The Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman

0800 34 34 24 (9am–5pm weekdays)

The Northern Ireland Ombudsman’s role is to investigate complaints where local resolution has not been possible.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

0345 015 4033 (8.30am–5.30pm weekdays)

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman’s role is to investigate complaints about the NHS in England where local resolution has not been possible.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service

Offers confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters in England and Wales. They provide a point of contact for patients, their families and their carers at your local hospital. For details of your local PALS, see the NHS choices website.

Patient and Client Council (Northern Ireland)

0800 917 0222

An independent voice on health and social care issues. Can help people with complaints, and provide advice and information.

The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales

0300 790 0203

The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales is an independent body whose role is to investigate and consider complaints where they have not been resolved locally.


020 7593 1850
08000 502020 (information service)

Campaigns for the equality of lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people across Britain. Website includes information and advice for LGBT people.

Stonewall Housing

020 7359 5767 (advice line, 11am–1pm and 2pm–5pm Monday–Friday)

The specialist lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) housing advice and support provider in England.


0300 330 0630 (10am–10pm)

Provides an information, support and referral phone and online service for lesbians, gay men and bisexual and trans people, and anyone considering issues around their sexuality and/or gender identity.