Equipment to improve the home – Other resources

Find out more about organisations that can help with getting equipment for people with dementia and making adaptations to the home.

Age UK

0800 678 1602 (advice line, 8am–7pm) (contact form)

Wales – Age Cymru

08000 223 444 (advice line, 9.30am–4.30pm Monday–Friday)
[email protected]

Northern Ireland – Age NI

0808 808 7575 (advice service, 9am–5pm Monday–Friday)
[email protected]

Age UK, Age Cymru and Age NI provide information and advice for older people.

Alzheimer’s Society online shop

0300 124 0900 (8am–8pm Monday–Saturday, 9am–6pm Sunday)
[email protected]

Alzheimer’s Society’s online shop offers a wide range of products designed to help with everyday life for people with dementia and their carers.


024 7642 2224 (contact form)

AlzProducts is a shop that stocks specialist dementia aids and equipment.

British Healthcare Trades Association

020 7702 2141
[email protected]

The British Healthcare Trades Association (BHTA) is the UK’s largest healthcare association. It ensures all members who make or sell healthcare and assistive technology products sign up to a code of practice.

British Red Cross

0344 871 1111
0300 456 1914 (for wheelchair service)
[email protected]

The British Red Cross offers a range of services – including care in the home, wheelchair loan and transport assistance – to help those with health issues lead a full life.

Care and Repair Cymru

029 2010 7580 (for head office)
0300 111 3333 (for local offices)

Care and Repair Cymru provides home improvement agency services for people living in Wales. Contact details for local offices are listed on their website.

Chartered Society of Physiotherapy

020 7306 6666 (8.30am–5pm Monday–Friday)
[email protected]

The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) is the professional, educational and trade union body for all chartered physiotherapists in the UK. It can provide contact details of private physiotherapists in your area.

Citizens Advice

03444 111 444 (Adviceline, England, 9am–5pm Monday–Friday)
03444 77 20 20 (Advicelink, Wales)

Your local Citizens Advice can provide information and advice in confidence or point you in the right direction. To find your nearest Citizens Advice look in the phone book, ask at your local library or look on the Citizens Advice website (above).

Disabled Living Foundation

0300 999 0004 (helpline, 10am–4pm Monday–Friday)
[email protected]

The Disabled Living Foundation provides information about finding simple solutions, such as mobility aids. Their website includes a web tool offering advice on health, home and daily activities (

Foundations HIA

0300 124 0315 (contact form)

Foundations HIA is the national body for home improvement agencies in England. Search their online directory for local agencies.

Northern Ireland Housing Executive

03448 920 900 (8.30am–5pm Monday–Friday)
[email protected]

The Northern Ireland Housing Executive is the public housing authority for Northern Ireland. They provide information about home improvement agencies in Northern Ireland on their website:

NRS Healthcare

0345 121 8111 (8.30am–5pm Monday–Friday)
[email protected]

NRS Healthcare provides products and services designed to support independent living.

Royal College of Occupational Therapists

020 3141 4600
[email protected]

The Royal College of Occupational Therapists is the professional, educational and trade union body for occupational therapists. It provides details of independent occupational therapists in your local area.


0808 802 2000 (contact form)

Turn2us (previously Charity Search) is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship to gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services. Their ‘find an adviser’ service matches you to sources of information and advice on a range of topics in your area

Review details

Last reviewed: June 2020
Next review due: June 2023

Our information is based on evidence and need, and is regularly updated using quality-controlled processes. It is reviewed by experts in health and social care and people affected by dementia.

Reviewed by: Dr Jane M Hibberd, Lecturer in Occupational Therapy and Chia Swee Hong, Occupational Therapist

This information has also been reviewed by people affected by dementia.

To give feedback, or for a list of sources, please contact [email protected]

Think this page could be useful to someone? Share it: