Care home fees for self-funders in Wales

Read our guidance on self-funding care home fees, including why you might want to request a needs assessment. 

How do you pay for care if you're a self-funder?

If someone is classed as a self-funder and is paying for their own care home fees, they can approach a care home directly and agree the financial arrangements with them. However, they may still wish to have a needs assessment by the local authority.

The local authority must provide information and advice to everyone, even if a needs assessment finds that they are not eligible for care and support at this time. This includes self-funders to help them to prepare for any support needs in the future.

The intention is to support the person’s wellbeing and help them to plan so they can reduce or delay the need for further care or hospitalisation in the future.

Other points to note for self-funders:

  • A needs assessment will provide information about the type of care needed and the options available. This information may help people who are self-funding to decide whether the care home they are considering is appropriate.
  • The local authority will only help with future care home fees if a person’s funds run out and it has assessed the person as needing care in a care home.
  • If the person with dementia did not have their needs assessed when they moved into a care home, it is important to make sure an assessment is arranged (by a carer or care home manager). A person’s needs should be identified before their savings get to a point where the local authority begins to fund their care.
  • If the person is making their own arrangements with the care home, or if a relative is doing this, they need to ensure that they are given a contract detailing the home’s obligations and fees. It is important to be clear about the services that are included in the fees, what may be charged as ‘extras’, and how much notice is given if fees increase.
  • If a person is paying part or all of their own fees, the carer or family member (or independent advocate where appropriate) should make sure they are claiming all the benefits to which they are entitled.
  • If the home chosen provides nursing care, the person will need to have their nursing needs assessed. The care home manager could be asked to arrange this or the GP could be asked to set this in motion. This is because the NHS can often fund care provided by a registered nurse for those assessed as having such a need (see ‘Nursing care costs’).