Capacity to manage direct payments in Northern Ireland

Capacity to manage direct payments may change as someone's dementia progresses. Read about the alternative options for managing payments, as well as what to do if things go wrong. 

Personal budgets and direct payments in Northern I
Save this information

A trust will only offer direct payments to a person if it is satisfied that the individual is willing to receive the payments (gives consent) and is able to manage the payments (with help if needed).

If someone is not able to manage direct payments because they lose the capacity to do so, then the trust may continue to make payments as long as a suitable person is prepared to handle them instead. This person must be prepared to manage the direct payments and care package on a day-to-day basis on behalf of, and in the best interests of, the person. They could be (listed from most to least common):

  • a carer or other family member
  • another person deemed suitable by the local trust
  • an attorney acting under an Enduring Power of Attorney
  • an appointed controller.

Many people with dementia decide to nominate someone to assume Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) on their behalf. The person makes the EPA in the expectation that, if they lose capacity, the appointed attorney will lawfully be able to deal with their property or affairs. (This will require that the attorney applies to register the EPA with the Office of Care and Protection.)

The situation is less straightforward for someone who has not made an EPA and has lost capacity, as they cannot give consent or manage direct payments. In these circumstances, the Office of Care and Protection may appoint a controller to manage the person's affairs on their behalf.

What can be done if things go wrong?

Anyone who is not happy with anything that the trust does should, in the first instance, contact their social worker, care manager or key worker. If these people cannot sort things out, the person can complain to the trust. Each trust has leaflets available on how to do this.

Complaints about agency workers or employed individuals should be taken up with the contracted service provider.

Think this page could be useful to someone? Share it:

Further reading