Organise your own swimming event
You take on a swim. We take on dementia.
Organise your own swimming challenge and help beat dementia with every stroke. Swim any distance, in any pool, anytime. You can do it as a personal challenge or even grab some friends and form a relay team!
We'd love to hear more about your challenge and welcome you to our swimming fundraising team, so please get in touch by filling in our form. We'll be here to support you with every stroke.
Looking for inspiration?
Here are some popular swimming challenges to get you started:
Swim a Memory Mile – You can break it down into sessions or swim it all in one go. 1 mile = 64 x 25 meter lengths of a pool.
Time Trial - Swim as far as you can in an allotted time and beat your personal best.
Distance challenge - Pick a distance that will test your limits, be it 1/2 mile or 5k, you decide what will test your stamina and strength to earn those pounds.
Swim the English Channel - Swim the equivalent of the English Channel in a pool or complete the 21 Miles in open water.
What you will get
When you fundraise for us you will receive:
- sponsorship forms
- a free Cotton T-shirt
- fundraising tips and ideas
- fundraising materials order form
- a sample press release
- open water and pool swimming tips
- a free Alzheimer's Society Swimming cap once you have raised £100
I'd like to chat about my challenge
If you'd like to chat to a member of the team about your challenge, please get in touch by emailing [email protected] or telephoning 0330 333 0804 and we will be delighted to help!
Where can I get a sponsorship form?
You will get forms in your fundraising pack that can be downloaded but we can also send out copies in the post! Simply email us at [email protected] to request this.
How do I get my swimming cap?
Soon as you have raised £100 just pop us an email over and we will get a cap sent out to you!
Is there a minimum or maximum distance?
Not at all! You can set the distance of your swim and it’s completely up to you. Also, there’s no time limit so you can do it all at your own pace. Our helpful fundraising pack contains training advice and tips.
Can we take part as a group?
How much do I have to fundraise?
There’s no strict minimum fundraising target, but if you raise £200 or more you will receive a very stylish Alzheimer’s Society cycling top. The more you raise, the more you will be helping people affected by dementia.
How can I fundraise?
Our handy pack contains all kinds of tips and advice for fundraising. We suggest you set up a JustGiving page and share it with your friends and family on social media so they can see your achievement! There are a whole host of ideas, from cake sales to quizzes.
If you have any further questions just email the Challenge team or call 0330 333 0804 - we're always happy to help.
Your swim could make a life-changing impact for people with dementia:
- £5 could pay for 200 dementia helpcards. Our helpcards can be used to get help or assistance and let people know who to contact if needed.
- £30 could provide one of our dementia advisers with 50 copies of the dementia guide to use in a face to face session
- £100 covers Alzheimer's Society's cost of supporting one patient with early stage Alzheimer's for three months on one of our vital trials.
- £200 could speed up the cure for Vascular Dementia by paying for a year's worth of clinical trial drugs.
- £590 could provide space for people worried about dementia to connect, tell their stories and support each other by funding our online community Talking Point for a weekend.
- £1040 could support people with dementia to keep doing the activities they love and try new things by funding a Side by Side service for a week. Volunteers support people with dementia to do whatever they enjoy, from going to a football match to visiting a café for lunch.