Dementia-friendly emergency services
Read our guidance to find out how dementia affects people’s experience of interacting with the services, and how the emergency services can support them.
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Advice and guidance for emergency services
Emergency services can use their expertise to continue helping the community and reach people affected by dementia to support them through the next few weeks and months to keep them connected to their community in new and creative ways. Here are some of the key actions that services can do today to make a difference to people’s lives:
- Encourage DBS checked community facing colleagues to work with local volunteer and community groups to assist isolated people with delivering shopping and accessing medication
- Use wellbeing visits to check on people, signpost to further specialist support and provide care packages
- Provide information for older people on keeping safe and protected from fraud and scams during this uncertain time
- For office or phone based staff to provide check in phone call to identified at risk or vulnerable residents in your community.
- Signpost people affected by dementia to our National Dementia Helpline for advice and support: 0300 222 1122
Dementia-friendly emergency services guide
A practical guide to supporting your communities and employees affected by dementia is essential reading for all those within the sector.
What is the Dementia-friendly emergency services guide?
This guide has been created alongside services across the country and with representatives from:
- The National Police Chiefs’ Council
- The National Fire Chief’s Council
- The Association of Ambulance Chief Executives
It sets out three areas where organisations can collaboratively develop their people, places and policies to support people affected by dementia.
Who is it for?
All emergency service providers, whether police, fire and rescue, ambulance services and other services who may find it useful.
What else can you do?
• Find out if your service has signed up to the Emergency Services Commitment
• We encourage all emergency services to register their organisation with Dementia Friends and then watch our Dementia Friends video. Email [email protected] with any questions about how to roll out Dementia Friends within your organisation
• You can also sign up to be part of your local Dementia Friendly Community. To find out what is happening in your local community, get in touch with the Dementia Friendly Communities team by emailing [email protected]
• If you’re running a cadet unit or youth group please contact [email protected] to find out more about how you can teach young people about dementia in your group.
Download the guide
Fill out a short form to get your copy of the Dementia-friendly emergency services guide