Cycle for Dementia
Cycle for Dementia
Could you power through the miles to help us beat dementia sooner? We’re challenging you to cycle 100, 250, 500 miles in a month.
The past few months have been really tough for everyone but coronavirus has hit people affected by dementia the hardest and it continues to disrupt lives. Our support services continue to be a crucial lifeline and we're working tirelessly to support as many people as possible.
But our fundraising income is at risk and we're already estimating the loss of vital donations to be in the millions. So we're asking you to power through the miles and Cycle for Dementia. With your help we can be there for those who need us most.
Given the statistic that one person is diagnosed with dementia every three minutes in the UK - the same amount of time it takes on average to cycle a mile - we’re challenging each person to get on their bike and complete either 100, 250, or 500 miles in a month.
- We’d encourage each person taking part to raise at least £100 for Alzheimer’s Society
- Track your distance using your phone, smart watch or other device
- Each person is responsible for tracking their mileage and must be able to show evidence if required
- Make sure you follow government advice around social distancing concerning COVID-19
What your fundraising will support
- £9.90 will begin someone’s Dementia Connect journey by providing the first conversation with one of our telephone-based Dementia Advisers
- Telephone-based Dementia Advisers give essential support across the three nations, £95 can support them for a full day
- Just £3.83 turns an ordinary citizen into superhero Dementia Friend! There is a stigma attached to living with dementia that is both deeply hurtful, and overwhelmingly unfair. Dementia Friends is at its core an instrument for societal change, waking people up to the truth about dementia and helping them understand the impact on people’s lives
Why you should join our cycling challenge
- The health benefits – cycling can increase stamina, strength and aerobic fitness. It’s also a fun way to get fit!
- Burn calories – cycling can help you maintain a healthy weight and keep active
- Do it at home or on the road – if you’ve got a stationary bike at home, now’s the time to dust it off and put it into use! Whether you want to complete the challenge on a bike indoors or take to the road, it’s completely up to you. Just make sure you follow government advice
- Help us beat dementia – The money you raise from this challenge will help fund a range of important services to help people affected by dementia
What is Cycle for dementia
We’re challenging everyone to cycle 100, 250 or 500 miles within a month. You can track your miles each day using a smart watch or your phone. If you’d like to increase the distance and set a higher target, that’s completely up to you!
Are there any registration or participation fees?
No – Cycle for Dementia is free to take part!
Is there a fundraising target?
Everyone who raises £100 or more on their Cycle for Dementia fundraising page will receive a special medal to say thank you. Our teams are currently working from home at the moment so we can't post your medal out straight away, we will however send it as soon as its possible.
How do I get my Cycle for Dementia medal?
Everyone who raises £100 or more on their Cycle for Dementia fundraising page will receive a special medal to say thank you.
We're all working from home at the moment to stay safe so there is a delay in posting out medals. We will email to confirm once you've earned your medal with further details.
How do I fundraise?
Please set up a Just Giving page to fundraise. All income is transferred directly to us. You will be able to share your progress on Facebook and Twitter too. We will also provide fundraising tips and support throughout your journey. We ask you to get any final donations over to us within a month of completing your challenge.
How will Alzheimer’s Society use the funds I have raised?
Can I take cash donations?
You can pay offline donations into your fundraising page, you also have the option to collect sponsorship via our sponsorship form or by sending us a cheque. Please view the full list on how to send in your offline donations.