Cupcake Day recipes
Step back banana bread. This year, it's all about the Cupcake.
Check out our favourite selection of delicious cupcake recipes. We have all types of inspiration to tantalise the tastebuds, to satisfy savoury cravings, and for that all important sweet-tooth!
Michael Chakraverty’s chocolate fudge cupcakes
For 12 cupcakes
- 125g dark chocolate (minimum 56% cocoa solids)
125g unsalted butter
1.5 tsp instant coffee
90ml boiling water
120g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
1.5 tsp baking powder
100g golden caster sugar
150g light brown sugar
2 large eggs
95ml sour cream
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
For the icing
360g dark chocolate
450g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
450g icing sugar
- Set the oven to 160c/150c fan/Gas Mark 3. Set out 12 cupcake cases in cupcake trays.
- Melt together the chocolate and the butter in a medium pan. Separately, mix the instant coffee with the boiling water and then stir into the chocolate mixture until smooth.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sugar. Give it a quick mix to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Mix together the wet ingredients, then fold into the dry ingredients.
- Fill each case 2/3 of the way up and bake for around 25 minutes or until firm to the touch and a skewer poked in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the tray for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- For the icing, melt the chocolate in a small pan and set aside to cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the icing sugar until pale and creamy (at least 4-5 minutes).
- Fold the chocolate into the mixture, and use to ice the cooled cupcakes.
Vegan chocolate orange cupcakes
- 150g plain flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 230ml non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 20g vegan chocolate, melted
- Extra cocoa for dusting
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in the orange rind.
- Whisk together the milk, vinegar and sunflower oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together well. Divide between the 10 paper cases. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until risen and
- springy to the touch.
- Remove from the tin and allow to cool on a rack.
- Decorate with swirls of melted chocolate, bits of orange rind and a sprinkling of cocoa.
Red pepper and parmesan muffins
- 3 red peppers, halved and deseeded
- 250g self-raising flour
- 30g Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 150ml milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 75g butter, melted
- 100g cream cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Place peppers cut-side down onto a baking tray and place under a hot grill for 12-15 minutes, until the skins are completely black. Remove from the oven and place in a bowl, covering with cling film until cold.
- Remove the blackened skin from the peppers then dice the flesh and put to one side.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan or Gas Mark 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Place the flour, half the grated Parmesan cheese and the mustard powder into a large bowl. Season with black pepper.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter, then pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix very lightly together.
- Add the diced peppers and mix a little more, being careful not to over-mix.
- Divide between the paper cases and top with the remaining grated Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until golden. Remove from the tin and cool on a rack before topping with cream cheese, salt and pepper and a sprinkling of smoked paprika.
Classic vanilla and white chocolate cupcakes
- 110g butter, softened
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g self-raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp milk
For the topping
- 200g white chocolate
- 300g butter, softened
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- blue food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour, adding a little milk to give a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden. Cool on a cooling rack.
- To make the white chocolate butter icing, melt the white chocolate in the microwave then leave to cool slightly.
- Beat together the butter and icing sugar, adding a little milk to loosen. Stir in the cooled white chocolate.
- Divide the mixture in half and add blue colouring to one half. Spoon the two mixtures into separate small icing bags then place both of these into a larger icing bag with a star nozzle and pipe the cupcakes with both colours.
Raw superfood cupcakes
Gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, vegan
- 75g ground almonds
- 75g pumpkin seeds
- 6 dates, stoned
- 50g coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g creamed coconut
- 1 large mango, peeled and stoned
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp turmeric
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 large avocado
- grated zest of 1 orange
- Place the ground almonds, pumpkin seeds and dates into a food processor and blitz to break down. Add the coconut oil, half the cacao powder and the cinnamon and blitz again.
- Spoon into 6 silicone cupcake cases, pressing down and levelling the top, and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt together the creamed coconut and coconut oil. Leave to cool slightly.
- Place the mango into a small blender with the chia seeds, 1 tbsp of the maple syrup, the turmeric and lime juice. Blitz to a purée. Pour in the melted creamed coconut and coconut oil and blitz again to a smooth purée.
- Spoon the mango purée over the crumb base in the cupcake cases. Chill for another 30-40 minutes, until set.
- Place the remaining cacao powder, maple syrup and the avocado and orange zest into a small blender and blend until smooth. Spoon into a piping bag with star nozzle.
- Remove the cupcakes from their cases and pipe the chocolate orange mousse on top.