The dementia guide: Next steps checklist
- Understand more about your diagnosis - for example, the type of dementia you have, and what your drugs are for (if prescribed). (See About dementia section in the guide.)
- Talk to others about how you're feeling and ask your GP if there are any therapies or activities that could help you. See Non-drug treatments section in the guide.
- Try some methods to help you to cope with memory loss. See Coping with memory loss section in the guide.
- Introduce exercise to your daily routine and review your diet to make sure it's balanced. (See Staying healthy section in the guide.)
- Organise regular checkups with your GP, dentist, optician and chiropodist. (See Checkups section in the guide.)
- Arrange a benefits check for you and your carer. (See Benefits section in the guide.)
- Write or update your will and appoint an attorney. (See Making decisions for the future section in the guide.)
- Tell the DVLA/DVLNI and your car insurer about your diagnosis (if driving). (See Driving section in the guide.)
- Ask social services for a community care assessment and a carer's assessment. (See How to access social care section in the guide.)
- Get in touch with Alzheimer's Society to find out about local services for you and your carer. (See Alzheimer's Society services and support in the guide.)
Download a checklist to print.
Watch our video of The dementia guide: Next steps checklist (duration 2:06)