South Wales area
Welcome to the South Wales page. Here you can find out what is happening in your area, and how you can organise an event yourself.
Need some local fundraising support?
Your community fundraiser is here to give you a hand by offering you support, materials and advice. Alternatively tell us about your fundraising idea and we will get in touch with you.
Community Fundraiser - South West and South East Wales
Tel: 07725 600595
Community Fundraiser - Gwent
Tel: 07568 116330
Join us on Facebook and Twitter
Join Alzheimer's Society South Wales on Facebook and Twitter - find out about upcoming events, local news stories and volunteering opportunities near you.
Cardiff Half Marathon - 4 October 2015 - The Cardiff Half Marathon starts and finishes in Cardiff Bay and due to its flat course, it is fast becoming a key event on the autumn running calendar.
- Swansea Memory Walk - 6 September 2015 - The historic marina is our setting for the Swansea Memory Walk this year. With two walks on the day, there's something for everyone.
- Gwent Memory Walk - 6 September 2015 - Gwent Memory Walk takes place at the picturesque Parc Bryn Bach. It's our walk with a community feel, smaller in size but together we will walk for a world without dementia.
- Cardiff Memory Walk - 19 September 2015 - Cardiff Memory Walk takes place at the iconic Cardiff Bay. Unite with thousands of walkers outside the world-renowned Wales Millennium Centre, to stride out together past historical landmarks along the waters' edge.
- Aberavon Memory Walk - 27 September 2015 - It's our walk with a community feel, smaller in size but together we will walk for a world without dementia. Aberavon Memory Walk takes place along the Neath Port Talbot seafront.
- Music to our Ears - It was certainly music to our ears when The Plough Singers from Whitchurch in Cardiff presented Alzheimer's Society with a very nice cheque recently.
- Over £8,000 raised for Alzheimer's Society in memory of Sylvia Wilding - A family from Gwent in South Wales has raised over £8,000 for Alzheimer's Society with a number of successful fundraising events in memory of the late Sylvia Wilding.
- Newport City Homes Charity Walk - Barbara Davies from Newport City Homes, in particular the Aneurin Bevan Court, and three friends, took to the streets of Newport and walked across five bridges.
- Hair today, gone tomorrow... - A Bridgend resident is all set for a very close shave to mark her 75th birthday later this month to help raise vital funds for Alzheimer's Society.
Local volunteering opportunities
Do you have some time to spare? Everyone has something to contribute to the Society. Volunteering is flexible, ranging from a few hours a year to several hours a week. It's your choice.
Find out more about volunteering opportunities in South Wales.
This year we have four Memory Walks coming up this autumn in the South Wales area. For further details on the walks, please refer to our 'Upcoming Events' section above.
The Swansea and Cardiff walk comes with a range of volunteering opportunities available. From marshaling to setting up to handing out medals. Would you like to join a team of 2,000 volunteers to help us with one of these events? To register your interest as a Memory Walk volunteer, click on the walk below that you are interested in volunteering for and we will be in touch!
A Gift in your Will
To find out about leaving a Gift in your Will, more information can be found here.
More about Alzheimer's Society in South Wales
In South Wales there are over 25,000 people living with dementia, and it is predicted that this figure will rise to over 30,000 by 2021.
There are support groups and local services which provide day care and home care for people with dementia, as well as support and befriending services to help partners and families cope with the demands of caring.
Regional Fundraising Support Officer - Wales
Address: Alzheimer's Society
16 Columbus Walk
Cardiff CF10 4BY
Tel: 02920 475 572
Visit Talking Point and take part in the discussions