South Wales area
Welcome to the South Wales page. Here you can find out what is happening in your area, and how you can organise an event yourself.
Need some local fundraising support?
Your community fundraiser is here to give you a hand by offering you support, materials and advice. Alternatively tell us about your fundraising idea and we will get in touch with you. Simply fill out our South Wales 'organising your own event' online form.
Community Fundraiser - South East Wales and Gwent
Tel: 02920 475 573 or 07568 116330
Community Fundraiser - South West Wales
Tel: 02920 475 579 or 07725 600595
Join us on Facebook and Twitter
Join Alzheimer's Society South Wales on Facebook and Twitter - find out about upcoming events, local news stories and volunteering opportunities near you.
- Aberavon Memory Walk - 7 September 2014 - Our popular Neath Port Talbot Memory Walk takes place along the seafront at Aberavon, Port Talbot. The two mile walk is open to everyone and is pushchair and wheelchair friendly, taking us on a flat promenade along Aberavon beachfront. After the success of last year's event, 2014 looks set to be even bigger – join the fun with face painting, a raffle and refreshments on site.
- Gwent Memory Walk - 7 September 2014 - Come along to Gwent this September for our Memory Walk. With a stunning 36-acre lake at its heart, Parc Bryn Bach is the perfect setting for a Memory Walk as it is flat and paved - great for both wheelchair users and pushchairs. The one mile course loops around the lake once and the two mile Memory Walk goes right around again – double the fun.
- Cardiff Memory Walk - 13 September 2014 - Taking place in the outstanding grounds of Bute Park, in the shadow of Cardiff Castle, the Cardiff Memory Walk weaves through a haven of wildlife.
- Swansea Memory Walk - 5 October 2014 - The Swansea Memory Walk takes place in the city's historic marina and guides you along the scenic seafront promenade towards the Mumbles. Live music and entertainment, fundraising stalls and hot tasty refreshments will be on offer all day at Museum Park, ensuring it is a day to remember for the whole family.
- Cardiff Half Marathon - 5 October 2014 - The Cardiff Half Marathon starts and finishes in Cardiff Bay and due to its flat course, it is fast becoming a key event on the autumn running calendar. What better way of seeing Cardiff than running the beautiful route, taking in the city's most famous sights and historic buildings, while raising money for Alzheimer's Society.
- Newport City Homes Charity Walk - Barbara Davies from Newport City Homes, in particular the Aneurin Bevan Court and three friends took to the streets of Newport and walked across five bridges.
- Family Law Practice supports Alzheimer's Society - We were very excited to hear Alzhiemer's Society has been chosen by Wendy Hopkins Family Law Practice as their Charity of the Year.
- On 7 March 2014 the Cardiff Volunteer Fundraising Group held their annual barn dance at the Earl Haig Memorial Club, Whitchurch, Cardiff.
- Hair today, gone tomorrow... - A Bridgend resident is all set for a very close shave to mark her 75th birthday later this month to help raise vital funds for Alzheimer's Society.
- Fundraising at Coleg Gwent, Risca for Alzheimer's Society - Alzheimer's Society were recently chosen by the Hospitality and Catering department at Coleg Gwent to be the recipient of their fundraising activities.
To read older news articles about Alzheimer's Society in Wales, head to our news archive.
Local volunteering opportunities
Do you have some time to spare? Everyone has something to contribute to the Society. Volunteering is flexible, ranging from a few hours a year to several hours a week. It's your choice.
Find out more about volunteering opportunities in South Wales.
More about Alzheimer's Society in South Wales
In South Wales there are over 25,000 people living with dementia, and it is predicted that this figure will rise to over 30,000 by 2021.
There are support groups and local services which provide day care and home care for people with dementia, as well as support and befriending services to help partners and families cope with the demands of caring.
Community Fundraising Support Officer - Wales
Address: Alzheimer's Society
16 Columbus Walk
Cardiff CF10 4BY
Tel: 02920 475 572
Visit Talking Point and take part in the discussions